Sneaky, sneaky chickens!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JNorth, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I posted a few weeks ago about how my hens were completely emptying their nest boxes. I couldn't figure out why they were doing that and not using them as nest boxes. Then we had a dramatic drop in eggs. From 6-8/day to 0, from 8 hens. Then we kept finding shells scattered around the coop so we figured we had an egg eater. I've been diligent about going out to collect eggs before they could be eaten but was always too late. Last night I added things to the coop to "entertain" them (baby bottle treat holders, a mirror and a swing) thinking maybe they were bored since it's been too cold and windy to get out. I even made a new feeder (out of dresser drawers...lol) that holds a ton of food so they never ever go without - thinking maybe they just got hungry on the days that I was later getting to them. I also added some new sand for scratching.

This morning I went out to feed them and fill their treat bottles. I did a head count and 1 hen was missing.....

I found her, sitting on a secret nest that they had made, out of hey, BEHIND the nest boxes. It's a 5in wide gap running along the wall behind the nest, I left it there for ventilation. There were a ton of eggs back there. Some had been smashed but most were intact.

Needless to say I filled the gap in with wood (they are in a woodshed after all) and I am the chickens least favorite person right now! [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    :gig Crazy ladies!!!
    Nikki

3. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Sneaky chickens!! I had a drop in eggs for a couple weeks. So one day I noticed a hen missing while doing yard work. I look around the yard, can't find her.behind the shed, around bushes, over the fence in the neighbors yard. I'm about to give up and I pull open the lid of a box I was to lazy to throw out and find the hen sitting there about to lay. i'm not sure who was more shocked but we had a split second stare down. I wasn't about to have her lay another in that box, so I picked her up and put her in the nesting box. 6 eggs I found in there.

Sneaky chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by