sneaky sneaky!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ravishaw, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    We love our hens dearly.

This weekend we were outside building garage shelves (my present) and my neighbor was moving some debris off his propertry. He called me over to show me a clutch of eggs that my hens had been laying next to his house. There were 15 eggs there. I'm gearing up to start selling some eggs, and this didn't make me very happy to see eggs going to waste. So this morning I bolted my hens inside with food & water to help them all lay inside where they should.

I know they need more boxes. I have 13 active layers and 3 boxes. But c'mon... going all the way into my neighbor's yard to lay eggs? Then the hens get stuck in his yard and can't figure out how to get back.

Fortunately my neighbors have a little toy dog and looks rather like a silkie, so the hens aren't bothered by him.

But I'd like to stop the hens from laying in his yard.

Ideas?

2. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    lol [​IMG]
    how old are they?
    can you eat them?
    do they float?

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Is there a fence between your properties, are they going over it or under it. If you cant stop them from going over there try to make a nest box that you can put out where they will see it and put fake eggs in it for a hint.Make it covered so they feel safe in it and also you can get the eggs out easily. Maybe your lock down will work hopefully LOL.

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL I hate it when this happens to me! My chickens stay in all morning (when they are laying) adn then at noon I let them out to forage. I don't usually have any problems but once in awhile there is a hen who decides that she is going to have to lay in the barn! UGH! I am dealing with one hen in particular right now and she is very persistent!! I am constantly kicking (not literally) her out.... But I think I'm finally getting the point into her that she isn't allowed to lay there.

My suggestion is to just get her every time you see her out there and maybe she will quit!

Good luck!!
    My Chooks Chick

5. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    apparently i have two hens dropping bombs where they shouldn't. Pulling weeds yesterday my in-laws discovered another clutch of no less than 17 eggs.

My hens are little devils, so I'm going to have to put a few more boxes in the coop for them I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by