Sneazing chicks

mandie2281

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
We have 6 chicks that are about 2 1/2 weeks old. They are all sneezing and some of them have diareah. I am REALLY new to chicks behavior and I am not sure what to do?? They are acting fine just the sneazing. One of the chicks was sick when we got him/her. He/she is half as small as the rest. Could he/she have spread something?

help, my eight week old banty took a strange turn today. suddenly lethargic, won't really open eyes. white stool, and not very much of it. won't walk, falls on to rear when we try to get her to stand. trying to feed her sugar water in an eyedropper and she seems to drink some but that is it. there is starter in a tub with her but has no interest. we separated her from the other chicks, they don't seem to have any problems.

ideas?

I had the same problem a week ago and started my chicks on terramycin soluble. It's 2 tsp's to one gallon of water. Take them off of any grit they are on, the meds attach to the calcium and will not work.
Also go and get some childrens liquid vitamins. I have learned to never be without them when it is cold and I have babies in my 200 year old farm house. Give them a drop or 2 daily if they are looking pretty good. Other wise, maybe one to start off with and then leave alone as handling them can cause more stress.
Good Luck
-Theresa
PS--You could take them off of the bedding you have them on, if it is shavings, but by the time you figure out that the bedding is not causing the problem, it could be too late. I would get them on anitbiotics ASAP, no matter what anyone says. I waited 2 days too long and lost 2 of my dear babies to a cold. It cleared the others up in 24 hours, but they did not start sneezing until a few days later while I was waiting to see if it was the bedding.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with giving them an antibiotic when you don't' know what is causing the illness. Giving antibiotics for the wrong disease only promotes antibiotic resistant diseases. The illness might be viral which doesn't respond to antibiotics anyway. Also - antibiotics are hard on the chicks system - and will kill good stomach flora in addition to the bad. So only give antibiotics when you know what you're fighting will respond.

Other than that, the vitamin drops, plenty of water, and good food are always in order. Keep them warm, too.

Where did your chicks come from? And were they vaccinated for any of the major diseases? (marek's or coccidosis) One hatchery (MM) had an outbreak of AE which was widely reported here on the site.

PS: What kind of litter are you using in your chicken pen?

Last edited:
Quote:
You are absolutely right, they can build up a tolerance for antibiotics, but they can't do that if they are dead. Terramycin is a pretty broad spectrum med and I would reccommend it to anyone who is having problems with sneezing. It saved my birds life.
Also, I have learned that usually the only way to diagnose what is wrong with your chicken is a necropsy. You can only do that when they are dead. Too many diseaes in birds have the same syptoms and if you do not take action ASAP, they fall fast.

You can also give your birds a plain cultured yogurt that will help with any flora problems.
Better safe then sorry I always say.

Back
Top Bottom