1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing and wheezing/raspiness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 13Chicks, Jun 19, 2011.

1. 13Chicks

13Chicks New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Hi -

I bought my first 3 chickens last year, and promptly named one of them "Sneezy." We have had her for 10 months now, and her only symptoms are sneezing, and some wheezing/raspiness/gurgling which is worse when the weather is hot. Her eyes are clear, she lays well, and otherwise appears healthy. The other two hens have never shown any symptoms. They have plenty of indoor/outdoor space that is well ventilated, kept clean, and the run location is rotated monthly.

I have some new chicks, and I am now more concerned that she has something contagious that I don't want to expose them to once they are old enough to join the flock.

Any ideas on what it might be? Should I continue to keep the newbies separated? I would have to build a new coop/run to keep them apart, and my husband isn't too thrilled with the idea.

Thank you for your thoughts!

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Could it be the bedding? You may want to keep them separated until you can find out what's going on. How is your chicken doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by