sneezing but no other symptoms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Dec 8, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i had 2 orpingtons brought round that were apparantly 'sick' and the owner could not treat them so handed them over to me.
    ive had them inquarantine for over 2 weeks now and have only seen one symptom...sneezing. no runny eyes, snotty noses or breathing problems, just sneezing.

it started with the pullet, sneezing once every few minutes or so. i did a 5 day course of antibiotics in the water (denagard) which didnt seem to help, so i did another 5 days which seemed to reduce the sneezez but not cleared it up altogether. yesterday i notice the roo has now also started sneezing? the pullet is nearly 'cured' (i only hear her sneeze once or twice a day as opposed to the once a minute when she first came)

should i continue with the antib's or is that just a waste and i should let the roo get on with it? i still dont know if the pullet got over it herself or the anti b's helped.

what would cause just sneezing and nothing else? i hought allergy but they had this problem before they came here so dont think its that....

any ideas?

apart from the sneezing they are in glorious health..big basketball shapd birds..eat tons and drink plenty

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a little silkie mix rooster that has done that since he was 3 weeks old. Maybe before I dont know but he was 3 weeks when I got him. Only once did I put him on antibotics and that was because he started a bubbly nose and swollen face. Vet said sinus infection. I do notice when I add to their or change their bedding he will sneeze alot. I also notice when my hens dig around in their feeder they will sneeze but only once or twice not all the time. They may have MG and the stress of moving them brought it up. Check out sites for MG see if it fits. If it is MG they will be carriers.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    what is mg short for please so i know what to look for? if i google MG i get plenty of sites about cars!

nevermind i found it. But i dont think it fits..these chickens were sneezing BEFORE they were moved, it was why they were brought here because they were sick...? they are 5 months old now and definatly not stunted or have slow growth/leg problems. its just the sneezing so no, dont think MG fits, but thanks for replying [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am sure someone will blast me and say it is a waste of time, but I have rabbits, and when they start sneezing, my first attempt at helping is to use VetRx (Vet Remedy) and put a couple drops just above their nose so they will breath it in. In milder cases this has helped.
    I haven't yet encountered a chicken sneezing, but I will try that first if I do.
    The other thing you might try, and pre-mixed this is expensive, but you can get it dry and mix it - Sulfamethoxide. You should be able to find it at your local feed store even. I pay about $11 and it makes enough for 50 gallons I think. It is what a fellow breeder suggested for me to use for respritory stuff before trying antibiotics.
    I don't remember if you have to throw out the eggs or not after using this. It should say on the package.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by