Sneezing chicken

kratzcoop

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2013
Hello all!

I have a chicken who started sneezing a couple weeks ago. At first it was a few times here and there, but now it's like every 30 seconds. She then seems to open her mouth to "breathe" afterwards. I've cleaned her nostrils a few times thinking something was lodged in them, but it hasn't helped. I tried looking in her mouth when she had it open to see if anything is in her throat, but I can't really see in it. She's perfectly happy and healthy...eats, poops, and lays fine, so I know she's not sick. What else could this be?

Thank you!

Hello all!

I have a chicken who started sneezing a couple weeks ago. At first it was a few times here and there, but now it's like every 30 seconds. She then seems to open her mouth to "breathe" afterwards. I've cleaned her nostrils a few times thinking something was lodged in them, but it hasn't helped. I tried looking in her mouth when she had it open to see if anything is in her throat, but I can't really see in it. She's perfectly happy and healthy...eats, poops, and lays fine, so I know she's not sick. What else could this be?

Thank you!
Any chance you can post a video of the behavior?
Upload to YouTube or Vimeo then link here.

Could be respiratory, I think the suggestion for it is vertex but not 100% sure. Someone else will know. Keep an close eye for any behavior changes
VetRX might relieve symptoms, like vicks vapo rub.... won't do a thing to cure a disease.

I've successfully used meds for aquarium fish on my chickens and it has always usually worked.

Your hen might have a cold or pneumonia or a very contagious respiratory disease that can wipe out all your other birds.

I'd say get her out of the general population and downwind from your coop or common area and treat and observe her for at least 14 days before potentially returning her to the general flock.

Watch out for other birds developing the same symptoms. You COULD have a major problem here - don't let it just go on.

Hello all! I'm sorry this response is so late, but a lot has been going on since I posted my question. Long story short...my gal has stopped sneezing. My brother-in-law who had chickens years ago, suggested I add apple cidar vinegar to their water. After a few short days, voila, the sneezing stopped. Not sure if that's what really did it, but she is no longer sneezing. Thank you for replying and the tips!!

Hello all! I'm sorry this response is so late, but a lot has been going on since I posted my question. Long story short...my gal has stopped sneezing. My brother-in-law who had chickens years ago, suggested I add apple cidar vinegar to their water. After a few short days, voila, the sneezing stopped. Not sure if that's what really did it, but she is no longer sneezing. Thank you for replying and the tips!!
Can I ask how much ACV you added and the size of your water container? I have a sneezing hen and came across this thread :)

Back
Top Bottom