Sneezing Chicken

ReelFaster

Songster
Feb 16, 2021
S.Jersey
Hi folks, I recently noticed my young speckled sussex pullet (approx 18 weeks) started in what I'd describe as a sneeze ( I attached a video of her). I noticed this about a week or so ago. I started doing some research on this great forum along with online resources and started giving her vetrx about 3 days go which I had previously bought to keep on hand. I've been rubbing it on her waddle and comb along with her beak and nose area at least 1 - 2 times a day. I also put a few drops in the water. I also been putting some rooster booster in the water as well. Initially I thought I saw some less sneezing but it's been a few days now and I don't see much if any improvement. Even worse I've noticed a similar sneeze in my older buff, but not as often at least not yet, however I've started treating her as well!

Unfortunately I don't have the the setup to separate them and keep them safe at night from predators. So I am stuck with them being together (I only have 4 hens).

The run and coop setup is dry and dusty. I use pine shavings in the coop for bedding and straw in the nesting boxes (although I am thinking when I run out of shaving I will try sand). I do notice when I mix it around it is very very dusty inside. Run is under a roof and rarely gets wet so it gets dry and dusty. For ventilation my coop has the ability to be roofless as it is under a pole barn metal roof. The roof is open and flat and I've secured it with hardware cloth for predators. I lay and secure clear plastic panels on top overlapping each other so the edges are uncovered/open about a foot on each side. Last night I removed the panels completely to increase airflow and plan on adding another vent or two (this weekend hopefully) to the sides of the coop to get more air flow from a breeze.

I guess at this point I am not sure if its a product of the coop/run/environment OR a respiratory illness of sorts. Both chickens are fully active, laying, eating, drinking, acting normal and look in great health minus the sneeze. However I will say my younger speckled Sussex's waddle and comb are not that pretty red, more faded looking but its been that way since I got her as a chick so I wasn't sure if that had to do with maturity or not as she is not laying just yet. Friday she will be 19 weeks old and keeping an eye out for her 1st egg.

Thanks in advance as always for your time and help!

@Wyorp Rock After a day or two of what looked and sounded like some real real improvement with her hardly sneezing at all to this evening and her sounding worse then ever.

She sounds like she's almost gurgling at this point............. I don't know what to really do next and on top of it I am going away in a day till Monday. She still has energy it appears and is eating/drinking still but she just don't sound well at all. Weather did turn back to humid and hot again with a bit of rain yesterday.

I am just frustrated at this point, I haven't had chickens very long but already had a problem with sour crop and had to re-home the sick chicken, a surprise rooster that I just had to re-home and now this young pullet really sneezing looking bad and another one of my hens is coughing.

Just a thought can DE cause these issues? I did notice that not long after I added some to the coop she started with this big time. I may have spilled some in there more then needed. Just a thought!

@Wyorp Rock After a day or two of what looked and sounded like some real real improvement with her hardly sneezing at all to this evening and her sounding worse then ever.

She sounds like she's almost gurgling at this point............. I don't know what to really do next and on top of it I am going away in a day till Monday. She still has energy it appears and is eating/drinking still but she just don't sound well at all. Weather did turn back to humid and hot again with a bit of rain yesterday.

I am just frustrated at this point, I haven't had chickens very long but already had a problem with sour crop and had to re-home the sick chicken, a surprise rooster that I just had to re-home and now this young pullet really sneezing looking bad and another one of my hens is coughing.
Chickens get sick so easily it’s really such a pain and so unfortunate but it comes with chicken keeping. When I hear sneezing I automatically think respiratory infection but that goes along with a runny nose and other things, it is strange that she doesn’t have any other symptoms but if it seems to be contagious I would definitely look into getting antibiotics for the whole flock from a vet for a respiratory infection, it usually isn’t too expensive especially if it can save your whole flock.

Her crop is emptying?

You had another one that had a crop problem...

Not sure what's happening. DE can cause some respiratory distress, how much ventilation in your coop?
Having more than one that has had symptoms, then you may be dealing with respiratory disease like Infectious Bronchitis or MG. You can try antibiotics like Tylan/Tylosin to see if there's improvement.

Her crop is emptying?

You had another one that had a crop problem...

Not sure what's happening. DE can cause some respiratory distress, how much ventilation in your coop?
Having more than one that has had symptoms, then you may be dealing with respiratory disease like Infectious Bronchitis or MG. You can try antibiotics like Tylan/Tylosin to see if there's improvement.

Very good memory, yes I did have another hen with a crop issue I was able to resolve, thank you!

This particular pullet her crop is emptying, I felt it a few times and did isolate her once last week overnight to make sure it was emptying.

For ventilation the entire roof is open like a convertible minus the hardware cloth for predators. I am assuming that is more than enough, however I will say there is nothing open on the sides except the auto door.

I notice my other older hen is now sneezing like her, no where near as bad, red comb & wattle, looks super healthy just an occasional sneeze.

Now this pullet will not roost with the rest of them, she sleeps on the pine shavings at night in the corner. Not sure if the pine dust is the cause, along with DE. It is dusty in the coop and the entire coop and run is very dusty. I clean the coop almost daily, scooping out any wet poop and mixing the shavings around a bit.

But like you say now that another bird is sneezing makes me think it something contagious or perhaps conditions are making her sneeze too. My first summer with chickens so its all new to me.

I checked her this morning, seems better than last night. Not as much gurgling and or sneezing. Here is a pic of her this morning.

20210810_075747.jpg

Back
Top Bottom