Sneezing chicken

cllewis.1

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Newbie here with a sneezing chicken. Should I be concerned?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Black austrolorpe, about 7 months, weight unknown. (she lives with 1 other BA and 2 barred rocks) None are laying yet.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's sneezing. Making a "choo" sort of sound. Sometimes she'll do a long string of them, usually less frequent though. My wife first noticed this 5 days or so ago and didn't think anything of it, but today noticed one of the BR's pecking occasionally at her nostril. This evening I noticed a tiny amount of clear mucous at her left nostril. Oddly, today, my wife also noticed her squatting while making the "choo" sound. She said it really looked like she was trying to lay an egg. She actively scratches around the run and is acting like herself (keep in mind we've had them only 2 weeks.)

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She's drinking water and on layer feed (though she is not laying yet; this was the recommendation of the man who sold us our chickens.) She is eating well. This evening they had emptied their feeder and I refilled it myself and all 4 of them ate heartily.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal per the photos someone else linked to on this forum.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None so far.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Prefer to treat organically myself.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Home built chicken tractor. Grass clippings in nesting box at this time. No cedar. Should I upgrade to something better in the nesting box? Pine?

So based on what I am reading on the other topics on this forum, we could have a viral or bacterial infection, or something as simple as allergies. For that matter we could also have gapeworm.

Based on what I have read, I am thinking:
1. VetRX on all their nostrils and the top inside of beaks
2. Polyvisol vitamins directly into the beaks (how many drops?)
3. Ivomec or other worming med in their water (2 tbl / gal?)

Other notes: we have had an odd week weather-wise. It's been down into the 40's 2 nights, with occasional rain several of the days. The henhouse keeps them reasonably dry by the ground has been damp.

Should I also get them on some kind of grit or oyster shell too, just for good measure?

Other ideas? TSC is my nearest supply store.

Thanks in advance.

What other ideas?

Last edited:
Hello!
It sounds like you've done your reasearch and have the matter pretty well in hand. I know some people worm regularly, but it's really inexpensive to have a vet check feces for worms, so you might consider that before worming. I add poly vi sol to the chicken's drinking water, it's fruit flavored and they seem to like the taste, and I can't help you with the vet rx because I've never used it.
Take care!
Debbie

considering this is a weekend and I don't have any contact with any vets at this point, the worming seems like a good step. I have discovered that you can't eat their eggs for a week after worming (which is maybe not so much of a problem since none of them are laying yet, which I don't understand either...).

Today, I am noticing no clear mucous at the nostril, but rather just a little dried mucous at the nostril...almost like a basic chunk of snot. She doesn't seem to be sneezing as frequently either. Getting the vitamins in her makes sense at this point I think.

Back
Top Bottom