Sneezing Chickens! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buxton Ducks, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I need some help please! So I have a flock of 25 chickens, 5 roos and 20 hens. They are all about 6 - 7 months old and one by one they have started sneezing and mouth-breathing. I immediately picked up some Durvet - Duramycin 10 Powder and have been putting one teaspoon per gallon of water along with a Vitamin/Electrolyte for 2 weeks now! Nobody is getting any better or worse but more and more come up sneezing every day. Their coop is very well ventilated and the litter is pine shavings that I change out every 2 months. When I let them out to roam, they act like normal, happy chickens but all you can hear is sneezing and coughing from them. It is so sad. These are all my dear pets and any advice would be great. Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This sounds like infectious bronchitis from the widespread sneezing. It tends to go through the whole flock with sneezing and nasal drainage the main symptoms unless they get a secondary bacterial infection to complicate it. You can confirm it by getting one tested. IB has many strains, and some will affect egg laying with a temporary decrease, along with wrinkled shells and runny egg whites being common. It is a virus so antibiotics may help prevent secondary infections, but it has to run it's course for a month or so. You have been under-dosing them with the Duramycin10. The maximum 800 mg dosage is 1 tablespoonful for 7-14 days. It will make carriers of your flock for up to a year, so no birds in or out of your flock for the next year or more. Here is some information about IB and some of the other common respiratory diseases:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/78/infectious-bronchitis-ib
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. chixinrox

chixinrox Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    I was just getting on the website to investigate the same issue! I believe my hens are experiencing this as well. One inparticular, seems to get better, then acts "off" again. Watery eyes, nose, and being a bit less social. The family/Farm we got our birds from use a medicine (Antibacterial) from time to time, called Sulfadime. I am going to give this a try, and see how it helps. We have a variety of ages, and only 6 chickens, but 3-4 have been sneezing more lately. I generally keep calendula infused water added to their daily water containers as well, but going to try the Sulfadime since it doesn't seem to be getting better.
    Not sure if that helps you, since I am in the same situation. Just going to try what the folks at this farm said could help! I think I'll follow with a little antibiotic/vitamin water next.
    I just wonder now, do we have to wait to eat any eggs?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you mean sulfadimethoxine? That is a sulfa antibiotic that is used to treat coccidiosis, coryza, and fowl cholera. I would probably use Tylan50 injection or oxytetracycline instead. The Duramycin10 is tetracycline, but needs to be given in a larger dose than above. Sometimes it is difficult to tell infectious bronchitis from mycoplasma (MG or CRD) since they can look similar. IB will not be affected by antibiotics since it is a virus, but the secondary infections may be prevented.

1 person likes this.
  5. chixinrox

Jul 6, 2014
    Yes Sulfadimethoxine. I only put one teaspoon powder in a gallon of water. I do have the oxytetracycline, which I also used 1 tsp in a gallon of water before, is this appropriate. It's difficult for me to determine because the ratios are for larger flocks on the package. I just have the 6, so keep their water fresh daily. In your opinion, would you suggest I just start the Oxytetracycline tomorrow?
    Thanks so much!

6. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have an antibiotic for CRD (chronic respiratory disease) that I buy locally. The lady who sells it doesn't put ingredients. But she ships products if you'd like her number private message me. I had the same issue. Put this in water for a 5 day period and chickens got better

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oxytetracycline dosage (for this brand) is 2 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon for the maximum dosage according to the Durvet website. Sulfadimethoxine dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon for the maximum dosage.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Well this has all been very helpful! Thanks everybody, I will post updates with improvement.

9. chixinrox

Jul 6, 2014
    You really are a "Flock Master", thank you for the post! [​IMG] Thanks to everyone for the information..........Here's to healthy, happy chickens!

10. chixinrox

Jul 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My Blue Copper Maran laid her first egg today! Yippeeee.................so now I wonder, since I've added the antibiotic to the water for my little flock, how long do we need to wait before we can eat them? 2 weeks? Do I remove the antibiotic water from the coop, or continue for the next few days, then wait from there. We've been waiting for this day! Also, is it supposed to have spots?[​IMG]
    Love this girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by