Sneezing Chickens

Be careful about "reporting" someone...

We got some Jersey Giants from a "reputable" lady in Louisa VA.

All 100 of her chickens were kept in very very small cages. 3-4 chickens in a cage... Dogs tied to trees... Cages kept in the garage and sprayed with a hose for cleaning without removing the chickens.. It was heartbreaking

The 4 Jerseys we got were in rough shape, but my Gf and I decided we wanted to buy them, take them home and rehabilitate them.. We knew they were rough, but we dare not piss off this lady. Just take them home, to a better place, and make sure they receive proper treatment.

Regrettably we introduced them to our flock.... Now I am slowly culling chickens as they develop these symptoms..

Anyway, back to the point

I reported her to animal control after I found out how bad the chickens were. Puncture wounds, picked clean of feathers from when she let her flock "Play" with each other. Discharge from the nose and ears, the entire bottoms of the feet were scabs, the rooster never crowed he was so sick and gurgly...

Animal control did nothing except flag me for harassment...

I reported her to the Facebook Forum, PCOV, Pet Chickens of Virginia. Posted pictures of her chickens with a warning to all who were going to have dealings with her.

I was instantly ridiculed for being "Jealous Of her Expert Set Up" and immediately banned from the group with threats of a "defamation" lawsuits......

So... Just be careful... Raise your own chicks or go to swaps with people who actually care..

Currently treating flock with Tylan Injections. 7ml a day.

One gets better, another gets sick...

Not working well at all

Taking our sickest chicken in for a Necropsy tomorrow..

I'll let yall know what I find out but my hopes are not high

I honestly suggest starting over after decontamination...

Chickens are relatively inexpensive, but take a long time to mature... Just hatch like 50, and sell what you dont need...

-DCA

Unfortunately some places are still very backwards when it comes to animal care.
The problem we have is over zealous animal control laws that limit chicken ownership to only 6 birds if you have less than a 1/2 acre lot, a hard size to find even in the outskirts of our sprawling metro area. There is no space per bird requirements so people stuff their 6 birds into coops big enough for 2 chickens only.

One nearly universal problem is the ignorance of the people making the laws. I'm not saying they are stupid or in any way malicious people, it is simply that they are at best ill informed or more likely completely uninformed as to the requirements of chickens in Subdivision life. Part of this is that we don't have any voice on the local, state, or national level and commercial poultry does. Commercial poultry doesn't like the backyard chicken movement because we serve to highlight and advertise all that is wrong with their way of making a living. We need to organize and develop standards for suburban chickens that lawmakers can feel good about enacting into law. Standards like 4 sq.ft. of coop per bird and 10 sq.ft. of fenced yard per bird. Ventilation standards and sanitation standards that fit backyard and subdivision needs. As backyard chicken owners we need to strive to be the better neighbor and keep our chickens clean, dry, and quiet

Google Mycoplasma Gallisepticum.
Some show no symptoms some just die some have cold like symptoms.
I have a post detailing my research on MG.

This was the best advice I've had in the years? I've been trying to work this one out. The symptoms are perfect and I am certain it is what some of my chickens suffer from.

I had come to the conclusion over the years that it would be better for myself and my flock to breed resistant chooks that can handle this sickness. I don't want to raise a flock which is dependent upon someone's product. I should not have worried, because reading a paper adopted by the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) confirms that even if you kill your flock it will arrive again from wild birds, and what I didn't know is that "vaccinated birds remain permanent carriers." so either way, my pets have to 'learn to live with it' and breeding healthy strong birds is indicated.

The quote "vaccinated birds remain permanent carriers." is from a paper that starts off (you can cut'n'paste into a search engine to find a copy)
"
Definition of the disease:
Avian mycoplasmosis is caused by several pathogenic mycoplasmas of which Mycoplasma gallisepticum ( MG ) and M. synoviae (MS) are the most important; they are the only ones listed by the OIE.
Description of the disease:
MG causes chronic respiratory disease of domestic poultry, especially in the presence of management stresses and/or other respiratory pathogens. Disease is characterised by coryza, conjunctivitis, sneezing, and by sinusitis, particularly in turkeys and game birds. It can result in loss of production and downgrading of meat-type birds, and loss of egg production. MS may cause respiratory disease, synovitis, or may result in a silent infection. MG and MS strains vary in infectivity and virulence, and infections may sometimes be unapparent."
"

I have lost some of my pets to this disease, and one is permanently sick, but they have a life and so long as they can live and I don't think they are in great pain then I let them live. Most of the chickens do not show any signs of the disease at all, they are the ones that end up raising chicks and I hope the chicks will be healthy like their parents. I hope.

About two years ago I bought a white Cochin bantam hen for my good freind. I go to her house a lot and all her chickens seemed healthy so I didn't bother to quarantine her. After I brought Marshmallow home I noticed she always shook her head (more like a twitch) and sometimes scratched it but couldn't find anything wrong with her and thought nothing of it. After a while some of the other chickens would shake their head but then they'd get over it. Once when one of them did it some stuff came out of her nose but after a bit she got over it. I raised four baby chicks last year and I didn't notice them having any symptoms as chicks even though marshmallow was the one who raised them. Now I have two 3-4 day old chicks that I hatched and they are shaking their heads and sneezing and one of them scratches at its head.
Can I do anything to treat this or limit the symptoms?

About two years ago I bought a white Cochin bantam hen for my good freind. I go to her house a lot and all her chickens seemed healthy so I didn't bother to quarantine her. After I brought Marshmallow home I noticed she always shook her head (more like a twitch) and sometimes scratched it but couldn't find anything wrong with her and thought nothing of it. After a while some of the other chickens would shake their head but then they'd get over it. Once when one of them did it some stuff came out of her nose but after a bit she got over it. I raised four baby chicks last year and I didn't notice them having any symptoms as chicks even though marshmallow was the one who raised them. Now I have two 3-4 day old chicks that I hatched and they are shaking their heads and sneezing and one of them scratches at its head.
Can I do anything to treat this or limit the symptoms?

Since all chickens shake their heads and scratch their heads normally, I would just observe them to see if they really are sick. Sneezing can be a result of dust in the feed,coop, or bedding, or mold. Make sure the bedding is dry, the overhead air circulation is good, and that waterers don't spill by keeping them at shoulder height as chicks grow. Sneezing from a respiratory disease probably wouldn't cause symptoms at 4 days old, but may occur at 2-3 weeks old. An occasional sneeze can be normal, but if it is pretty constant, there may be something wrong. Since this is an older thread started by someone else, if you still need help, I would start a new thread of your own in the emergencies section where more people will see it.

one of them has a wet nose, stuff comes out when it sneezes

Antibiotics to treat chickens are usually available only by prescription from a vet now, but you can still usually find Tylan 50 injectable for cattle, and give it orally to chicks 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days. Respiratory diseases can be viral such as infectious bronchitis, or bacterial such as MG or others. Keep them warm and make sure they are drinking.

For those that post here in this site.

Just because chickens sneeze and wheeze doesnt mean that culling the whole flock. It doesnt even mean to cull that particular chick or chicken. We have had chickens sneeze and wheeze off and on for a while. The main thing is make sure its not dust or such that clogs their nostrils. Also always listen to the lungs of the chick or chicken. If it is in the lungs get denagaurd and add 1/2 cap full to each gallon of water and change daily. If the case if severe add Tylan and VetRx twice a day for 3 to 5 days.We have saved lots of birds by paying attention to their symptoms. If you cull just because they sneeze you really ought not to raise chickens until you are further knowledgeable about what to do, how to do, and when to do.

What is GSC
before you cull or give up on birds i suggest trying things no one else thinks of

and if you dont sell the birds or give them a way is it a big deal if you breed with them for your own use? no its not in fact the next generation will be more resistant to it then the last so over time as long as you dont give any birds away to people that have chickens/fowl already i dont see a problem and also if some one insists on buying a bird from you tell them everything.

as for something most people dont think of try some GSE for it it does wonders for humans why not birds as well? worth a shot imo heck its been proven to kill MRSA the worst thing around that humans can get its also been proven to treat avian influenza in chickens, who knows might just clear it right up

alot of people try antibiotics from vets and wonder why they dont work, well they are just 1 compound where GSE is 100's that all have anti-bacterial properties heck thats why most things have became resistant to human drugs as well (it was tested on 90 different viruses, 70 different strains of fungi and 200 strains of bacteria and killed them all in a harvard lab test, and proved more effective in cleaning then iodine or 70% alcohol)

good luck
smile.png

btw i am not a vet just have some neat books on natural antibiotics.
WHAT IS GSC?

I think that's decusting for reporting a BAD BREEDER and then being harrased and subjected to being sued for outing her out!! Thank you for making the complaint and standing up for voiceless animals; it's disheartening to know nothing was done to stop and fine the Crap out of her!!! SHAME ON HER AND MERCY FOR THE BIRDS THAT HAVE OR MAY
STILL BE SUFFERING!!!!!

Last edited:
Necropsy test results came back

MycoPlasma

Highly contagious. Takes 3 weeks to incubate and take form.
Once they get it, its for life. They WILL pass it on to all other chickens introduced.
Meat and eggs are fine to eat.
But the longer the chickens have it, the more problems will develop.
Baby chickens have a high mortality rate with this infection.
I will never be able to sell my flock at swaps or anything now.
All because I thought I could rescue a few chickens from a lady.

So!
That being said I would like to depopulate and start fresh. But that will never happens cause of the GF
So a lifetime of sick helpless chickens it is...
:mad: I'm really pissed at that breeder!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom