Sneezing chicks

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have a bunch of chicks who have developed a sneeze. I'm not sure if it's all of them, but it's more than one. No mucus. They eat and drink, poop looks normal, though some are maybe on the runnier side. I posted earlier today about a chick that died after having a clicking sound when breathing, and it really freaked me out so when the others started sneezing I thought they were all about to die of a respiratory illness. However, they still seem fine. They have been less active today and eating less, thereby also pooping less, but then it might be that we had a shift in weather and it was much warmer in the brooder than it has been before. They are also shedding lots of fluff, which might be an explanation. I don't use shavings yet, but want to switch them onto it. When I give them scrambled eggs they all go nuts for it like they usually do and they try to jump out of the brooder and climb my arms. But also sleeping more, and I hardly saw them sleeping during the day at this age (though it might be down to me checking up on them more).

The sneeze definitely worries me, especially after the dead chick. However, I'm simultaneously trying to think ahead, in case they're not all going to die like my fear is. The brooder may be on the smaller side with the number of chicks that ended up with hatching, and I'm wondering if maybe it would be better for them to move into the chicken coop. There are no adult chicken there, it's freshly built just for them. That would mean adding shavings too. It would give them more space and I can provide the heating plate and a heat lamp for heat. I'm not in the warmest climate though and it can easily be 10 C during both day and night. They have good feather development though and don't seem to be too dependent on the heating plate anymore. The only other option, when it comes to space, is adding more cardboard boxes. I already have two quite large boxes put together. What would you do? Is there anything I can do that I haven't thought of to prevent the sneeze? I'm already cleaning out the brooder more often than before in case there's something about it that bothers them.

As a sidenote, the coop is insulated, so with the heating lamp and the chicks, the temperature will probably go up, even on cold days. But since it's never been used before, I'm not in control of how warm or cold it can get.

As long as the new coop is predator proof for rats and snakes, and other small animals, I would put them in the coop. You can always confine them there inside a brooder, but make sure they have plenty of space and a top screen if any jump out. But I would just use the coop if they are safe enough. How large is it and for how many chicks? How old are they?

Sneezing by the same chicks every few minutes can be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus or other respiratory disease. But if they just sneeze sometimes and it seems to be when eating, they may just have irritation from the feed dust or something environmental. Chicks usually won’t get a respiratory disease unless you have brought in a new bird, or another older bird is a carrier. Make sure they have good end to end ventilation over the top of them.

As long as the new coop is predator proof for rats and snakes, and other small animals, I would put them in the coop. You can always confine them there inside a brooder, but make sure they have plenty of space and a top screen if any jump out. But I would just use the coop if they are safe enough. How large is it and for how many chicks? How old are they?

Sneezing by the same chicks every few minutes can be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus or other respiratory disease. But if they just sneeze sometimes and it seems to be when eating, they may just have irritation from the feed dust or something environmental. Chicks usually won’t get a respiratory disease unless you have brought in a new bird, or another older bird is a carrier. Make sure they have good end to end ventilation over the top of them.
Thank you! Yes, it is predator proof. I'm not sure how large exactly, maybe 2-3 square meters, and that does not include the areas above the floor. It will house 13 chicks, but eventually less as I take some of the roosters out. They'll have a big outdoor area, but I'm not planning on having them outside for a while yet. They are 2,5 weeks. Some are almost fully feathered, at least wings, backs and tail. The Orpington's are a bit slower and don't have as many feathers yet.

As I cleaned their brooder this morning they all seemed totally normal and active. I heard no sneezes. Later on I heard one or two. At least they aren't worse. They're all eating. No new bird has been introduced and they're not with any older birds. It's a relief to hear that respiratory disease isn't that common. I worried that maybe they had gotten too cold, but as I check on them during the night currently, while not all are sleeping under the heating plate, the ones that don't, don't huddle together. One might sleep on top of the heater and one somewhere else. They don't look cold at all.

Update on the sneezing chicks:

When cleaning the brooder this morning all the chicks seemed totally normal, a sneeze or two, but at least they haven't gotten any worse. As I got outside afterwards, I noticed everything covered with a layer of yellow dust. Pollen. Also on things I had kept outside yesterday and put indoors in the evening. I am hoping that pollen is the explanation for the sneezes. They live upstairs and I don't open windows up there, but seeing how worried I was yesterday, I was constantly walking up and down after being outside. It is possible that I've dragged the pollen with me as I've gone to check on them.

Anyone experiencing their chicks being sensitive to pollen?

Back
Top Bottom