Sneezing. Cold? Disease????

khawks

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
warsaw, virginia
I brought home some new birds from the only person I ever get chickens from. I noticed that one was sneezing after I got her home, and when she sneezed, she had bubbles come out of her eyes. so I put the new purchases in quarantine. When you hold her, she stops sneezing, put her down and it continues again. This is the only symptom. I gave anitbiotics for the past week.
These birds are on the opposite side of the farm from my other birds.

now my entire flock is sneezing.

I'm sorry to hear that. For future reference, quarantine is the period of time before they have a chance to infect your flock.

Contact the person you got them from and see what she's dealing with. They're clearly contagious so her birds must have come down with it.

Antibiotics are only for bacteria and many of the things that can cause respiratory problems are viral, fungal, protozoal environmental or nutritional.

Maybe between the two of you, you can take the sickest bird to your state poultry lab for euthanasia and necropsy.
That's the only way to know what's ailing them so you have a clear plan of attack.

I'm sorry to hear that. For future reference, quarantine is the period of time before they have a chance to infect your flock.

Contact the person you got them from and see what she's dealing with. They're clearly contagious so her birds must have come down with it.

Antibiotics are only for bacteria and many of the things that can cause respiratory problems are viral, fungal, protozoal environmental or nutritional.

Maybe between the two of you, you can take the sickest bird to your state poultry lab for euthanasia and necropsy.
That's the only way to know what's ailing them so you have a clear plan of attack.

As soon as I got home with the birds, I placed them away from the flock and called the seller. I was at her house and insepected her whole flock and did not notice a single sneeze. But I agree with you, something is definitely contagious.

Back
Top Bottom