Sneezing, coughing, hiccups and worms, Oh My!?

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
EDIT.... This has been going on for a long, long time. Like MONTHS.

Let me preface this by saying that from what I have read, chickens 'really do not get hiccups.'

I have a 7+ year old black sex link that seems to have hiccups. When I say "hiccups," I mean, something that sounds like a sneeze. Or a cough. Or something that makes her unlike the others.

She does not seem troubled. She has no typical respiratory symptoms. She eats, poops and runs around doing normal chicken things. She does not do this all day long. First thing in the morning, she is silent. By nighttime however, she has a rhythmic noise going.

I also went down to the coop today and heard her out of the blue... she was dust bathing at the time. When she saw me coming, she jumped up and the noise stopped.

And I have a video!!!

I have not wormed them in some time.

I had been thinking she had some kind of weird crop thing going on as this goes on primarily when she is on roost... but now I am starting to suspect it is gapeworm only because I stumbled upon a video of another chicken behaving a little similarly.

Any ideas of what I should be looking for...or suggestions of what this could be?

Last edited:
She has most likely inhaled a feed granule while eating. It has happened with my birds on occasion. You can inspect her nares for debris and remove it carefully using a toothpick if you see anything. Otherwise she'll eventually dislodge it.
Thank you. I am so sorry... I realized that I have neglected to say that this has been going on for a long time now.... like months. I will edit my original post. Sorry again.

She does not seem troubled. She has no typical respiratory symptoms. She eats, poops and runs around doing normal chicken things. She does not do this all day long. First thing in the morning, she is silent. By nighttime however, she has a rhythmic noise going.
It like a sneeze/cough.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I'd venture to say if this is happening mainly at night, then she's got food that's she's inhaled at last fill up.

You report - she's not troubled and does normal chicken things.

It like a sneeze/cough.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I'd venture to say if this is happening mainly at night, then she's got food that's she's inhaled at last fill up.

You report - she's not troubled and does normal chicken things.
So it sounds like I should not be troubled if she is not troubled. That's good enough for me. Appreciate your response.

So it sounds like I should not be troubled if she is not troubled. That's good enough for me. Appreciate your response.
I would monitor her and take note of any changes, but since she's showing no symptoms of mucous, no lesions inside the beak, crop is emptying, no bubbles or watery eyes then monitoring is what I'd do.

I would monitor her and take note of any changes, but since she's showing no symptoms of mucous, no lesions inside the beak, crop is emptying, no bubbles or watery eyes then monitoring is what I'd do.
Sounds like fine idea. Appreciate your input on this!!! R.

Back
Top Bottom