Sneezing/Coughing? Then dead.

BeyondBlessed

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
We left town for a couple of days and came home to our Crested Cream Legbar making a weird noise. (See video) Her comb was also visibly bigger just in those 2 days. (I mean, this thing almost looked double in size and a bright red... much like you would think before laying their first egg). She was about 9 months old. Not sure if she ever did lay an egg. I never saw her, if she did.

Well, we put some vetrx on her beak and in the community waterer, and it seemed to really help. Her noise was less frequent after that. She was super hungry, never sluggish or tired. She seemed normal throughout all of the days... besides the noise.

A couple days later... we found her dead. None of the other girls are having any issues. Any ideas of what could have caused it and also things to help if it ever happens again? Thanks so much!

*note: the items in the video are not pieces of trash. But orange peels, lettuce and treats. ❤️

Video of noise:

I'm sorry about your hen. What was her complete diet?
It sounds like she has a bit of something in her airway but I doubt that caused her death.

I'm sorry about your hen. What was her complete diet?
It sounds like she has a bit of something in her airway but I doubt that caused her death.
Thank you!! ❤️ We recently switched from organic feed to tucker milling non gmo pellets. The 50.00/bag was getting a bit too much. We switched maybe 2 weeks before this happened. We also give Tucker Milling non GMO 5 way scratch.

Plus, all the fruit/veggie scraps and egg shells from the kitchen. They also love handfuls of weeds thrown in from time to time.

On really exciting days, they get either raw eggs, or scrambled eggs.

They have access to oyster shells and grit all the time, as well.

I tried to look down her throat, but couldn't see too well. From what I could see, I didn't notice anything stuck. But I couldn't see very deep, whatsoever.

I'm sorry about your hen.

In the video, it almost sound like she was trying to cough up a piece of food or something, but it's difficult to really know.

Sadly, without further examination, there's no way to know what happened. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and contact your state lab, they can perform a necropsy for you. If you feel up to it, you can do your own informal necropsy to see if you find anything obvious.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I'm sorry about your hen.

In the video, it almost sound like she was trying to cough up a piece of food or something, but it's difficult to really know.

Sadly, without further examination, there's no way to know what happened. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and contact your state lab, they can perform a necropsy for you. If you feel up to it, you can do your own informal necropsy to see if you find anything obvious.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you!! We buried her already, but at this point, like you said, I guess it can be anything. 🫂

Back
Top Bottom