Sneezing, discharge and broken peeper

jeane123

Hatching
May 6, 2021
we just hatched our ducklings about 3 days ago, all of them seemed healthy and no issues, but yesterday (2 days old) one of them stoped peeping, and what seems like panting all the time, I have gathered that its not really panting but just breathing and seems like his nostrils or airway has something going on. We have done the following:
1. taken him for multiple swims to blow it out but he doesn't like his siblings dip his head.
2. used saline and a "booger sucker" but still same result.
3. dunked his head manually but he isn't blowing it out.
4. they have fresh water and deep enough for them to dunk their beaks.

does anyone know what this could be? should we be concerned? I just want to give this little guy a fair shot at life.
** he is eating and drinking water, and pooping and not peeping, but making a clicking noise.

Hi Jeane, How is your duckling behaving?
Is he/she walking normally?
Is he/she eating and drinking normally?
Is he/she in a warm clean environment?
Does he/she get picked on by the others?
How is he/she sitting/walking?
Can you post a picture of your duckling and your setup?

So many questions! Unfortunately some ducklings just don't thrive. But let's rule out other cuases first...
@Miss Lydia has maybe more suggestions

Hi Jeane, How is your duckling behaving?
Is he/she walking normally?
Is he/she eating and drinking normally?
Is he/she in a warm clean environment?
Does he/she get picked on by the others?
How is he/she sitting/walking?
Can you post a picture of your duckling and your setup?

So many questions! Unfortunately some ducklings just don't thrive. But let's rule out other cuases first...
@Miss Lydia has maybe more suggestions
behaving somewhat normal with the exception of breathing through mouth,
walking normal,
eating and drinking just like the others,
warm clean environment (90F),
not being picked on, actually they all seem very fond of each other.
Overall behaviour is same compared to the others, maybe just sleeping a little more than them.

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
That's good to hear!
Your setup looks very clean and nice.
One more thing I can think of... Do they have a warmer and a cooler area? So they can move according to their need for warmth?
I hope other members chime in and share their thoughts too...
yes they do i have a hygrometer setup and the one side is about 78F vs the 90F on the other side, we also take them out about 3x per day to go swimming in the sink (keeping the water at about 80F). ill try to get a video and thanks for the help in advance

yes they do i have a hygrometer setup and the one side is about 78F vs the 90F on the other side, we also take them out about 3x per day to go swimming in the sink (keeping the water at about 80F). ill try to get a video and thanks for the help in advance
I'm so happy you take good care of them and invest in their welbeing. A lot of other ducklings will be so jealous

They would be. Clicking can mean respiratory infection. Did this little one hatch on its own with no problems? Just trying to think if maybe it may have aspirated some fluid in the egg. Let’s see if any of our bator hatching experts are on.
@WVduckchick @DuckyDonna
actually, he took about 2 days to hatch and it wasn't nearly as easy as the others which after pipping was out within an hour or so. You may be onto something, is this something I can fix? or help him through it?

Back
Top Bottom