Sneezing, fluid from nose, otherwise acting normal

LaurEliz

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Central Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! My cream legbar, under a year old, but fully feathered, not at all a chick, has been sneezing. He has discharge from his nose, not a lot, but noticeable, and shakes his head from time to time. He lives with two other cream legbars around the same age and some silkies, around the same age. I've noticed a few of my other birds have been sneezing too, but not as noticeable as him. None of them are acting unhealthy besides for this and are all eating and drinking fine. Not all of them are sneezing, that I've noticed.

I've thoroughly cleaned their coop, multiple times, so I don't think the issue is dust/dirt. I read that I could give them a general bird antibiotic in their water. If I do this, should I dose the entire coop, or should I separate anyone who is sneezing? Not everyone who sneezes has a runny nose, so if I separate the sneezers I might end up missing some.

What antibiotic would you suggest I use? Or do you have a different suggestion all together? I surprisingly have not run into this issue before, so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Chickens can get respiratory diseases from a carrier that comes into the flock, from wild birds, and from a disease such as MG passing through a hatching egg. It can be carried in on shoes and if a neighboring flock has something. There are at least 8 common respiratory diseases that include infectious bronchitis virus, ILT virus, MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, coryza, aspergillosis from mold, and a couple of others. Antibiotics would only treat MG or coryza, and have to be for the specific disease. Rather than guess what you are seeing, it would be good to get testing. You can ask your local vet, local NPIP tester, or you stat vet about how to get testing. Here is a link to read about common diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

LaurEliz

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Central Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
Chickens can get respiratory diseases from a carrier that comes into the flock, from wild birds, and from a disease such as MG passing through a hatching egg. It can be carried in on shoes and if a neighboring flock has something. There are at least 8 common respiratory diseases that include infectious bronchitis virus, ILT virus, MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, coryza, aspergillosis from mold, and a couple of others. Antibiotics would only treat MG or coryza, and have to be for the specific disease. Rather than guess what you are seeing, it would be good to get testing. You can ask your local vet, local NPIP tester, or you stat vet about how to get testing. Here is a link to read about common diseases and symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
Thank you, especially for the link.

I'm searching for vets in my area (so far closest is over an hour away) that take chicken patients. Hopefully I can find one and figure out what's up.

Top Bottom