Sneezing Hen. Is She Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Crazy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    My favorite hen (Two year old Bard Rock) started to sneeze yesterday why I gave the chickens food. Usually when they sneeze I wouldn't be concerned but she kept sneezing like three or four times. She did the same thing today. Is this a symptom for some sickness? I really need to know so I can separate her from the others if she is!

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    She could just have allergies, it's that time of year, but if not, watch her and see what her symptoms are. Is she acting lethargic, lazy, droopy, or tired? Is there fluid leaking from her eyes/nose?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There are several reasons why your chicken could be sneezing. First, it could be dusty in her coop. Dusty bedding can cause sneezing, and so can high ammonia levels. However, since she's the only one showing the symptoms, this might not be the case. Since she began sneezing when you gave her food, could the food be dusty? I know that my chickens sneeze occaisionally if they eat too fast or eat dusty food.

Another possible cause could be a respiratory disease. But, if she's only sneezing a couple of times and isn't acting sick otherwise, I don't think that this is the problem. Be alert for any other signs of sickness, however, which could indicate an actual disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by