Sneezing hen

Kiwichins

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
New Zealand
Hi all I have a hen Faverolle breed 6 years old started sneezing kinda sounds like a sneeze/cough
Took to vets as she is a favourite in our family and they thought a Bronchitis infection gave Doxycycline and injected a steroid
Have been giving her half a tablet for 7 days now went back to vet as she was initially given 3 day course. And she is still sneezing
she has 3 days left of doxycycline to take and have had her separate since she got sneezing.
Thing is she doesn't seem sick she is eating and drinking no discharge
What else could make her sneeze I haven't got any other hens sneezing and starting to think it cant be infection if no change with the antibiotics. Bedding and food hasn't changed, Only thing is its cold here in New Zealand as its winter and have had a bit of snow and hard frosts.
Have a warm chicken house and shelter in the run.
Just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions?
Have been putting garlic cloves in the water too
I just want her to stop sneezing it doesn't look fun for her and want her back with the others she seems lonely penned alone
thanks for any ideas or advice

Im thinking once antibiotics finished putting her back in with my other hens good or bad idea Just don't think she is that sick
could she have something stuck up her nose that's why shes sneezing?
Also I did Ivomec her incase

8 days antibiotics today and I find her gasping now breathing laboured and comb turning purple she is separate still how can she suddenly go from just sneezing looking well to laboured breathing I just don't understand she seemed fine apart from sneezing. I think she might not be here by morning im gutted so sad but then she is nearly 7 years old, Might head to vets tomorrow to put her down I cant cull her myself just too hard when shes been my pet

If in fact it's Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) it can and will spread throughout your flock. It's a virus and antibiotics are ineffective treating it. However it's possible that another respiratory disease may be present in conjunction with IB.
Given the fact that your other birds arnt showing symptoms, you might consider that it might be some type of fungal infection in which symptoms can mimick a respiratory disease, perhaps aspergillosis.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2384

Thanks for the reply
Sadly yesterday she started having bad laboured breathing and died in the night she had been isolated but will keep a close watch on other hens
Plan to virkon hen house and pen hen was isolated in just incase
I think the fact she was nearly 7 years wouldn't have helped poor girl
We are gutted as she really was a favourite and first hen I hatched
Thanks for the info im learning heaps here

Back
Top Bottom