sneezing hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlynes, Jan 14, 2015.

1. nlynes

nlynes New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Please advise. On thanksgiving 5 of my 6 hens were killed. I went and bought two new hens to place with my survivor. A few days after getting them I noticed one of the new ones was sneezing with a bit of clear discharge from her beak. After watching her to see if she presented any other symptoms, she did not. However after a couple of weeks my surviving hen started sneezing with some clear discharge. I started them on tetracycline. I live in Colorado and we've had extreme temp differences from day to day and after almost three weeks my hens are not any worse but don't seem to be much better. They do not present any other symptoms and I am at a loss for what of what is wrong.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are they eating and drinking a normal amount?

-Kathy

3. nlynes

nlynes New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Yes they are. Water intake is a little off due to colder temps but otherwise normal. The one who's been sick the longest does have a little raspy sound to her breathing

4. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    You need to quarantine next time you bring new birds home. I made the mistake of only quarantining for a little bit with my second rooster. Now my standards are infected and will stay that way for the rest of their lives.

I suggest waiting and keeping an eye on them, check daily for any thing off like smell, weight loss/gain, etc...

I wish you luck, keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by