Sneezing Marans hen

Lilafuch

Hatching
Nov 26, 2015
New York
Last night I did my nightly feed thing just a bit of corn. I noticed one of my marans hens was wheezing sneezing and I dare say cough. When I went out to shut off there lay light like 2 hours later I check that hen her crop had no food in it but felt like snot. I've never had a sick hen or lost one in almost 2 years I'm a bit panicked right now. Does she need medication should I bring her in the house. Any suggestions would be awseome

I just experienced respiratory illness myself. Lost 4 young birds. Get her warm and start meds with vitamins right away. Squirt it in the back of her throat. Keep her quiet and let her sleep. Treat everyone else to prevent anymore from getting really ill.
I have seperated my younger birds to a heated brooder. I have 5 birds in the house who were really sick but seem to be getting better. 2 of them I never thought they would live past the first day but are on day 3 in the house. I am treating with Oxytetracyclin with vitamins added but have ordered Deneguard and a Electolyte. Just waiting for it to come in.

Last night I did my nightly feed thing just a bit of corn. I noticed one of my marans hens was wheezing sneezing and I dare say cough. When I went out to shut off there lay light like 2 hours later I check that hen her crop had no food in it but felt like snot. I've never had a sick hen or lost one in almost 2 years I'm a bit panicked right now. Does she need medication should I bring her in the house. Any suggestions would be awseome

Sometimes they can get feed stuck in their throats and can make them cough or wheeze. Waiting a couple of hours to check again, you may not hear it again. Is she sounding any better now? If not, I would think about separating her and starting some antibiotics such as Tylan or oxytetracycline. Do your chickens get a balanced layer feed in addition to the occasional treat of corn?

I put her in the goat barn in some hay this morning with warm water tonight she seems fine. She had a crop full of goat sweet feed.as for my feeding program well they free range the farm in the morning and night in a trough I feed about 3 cups of straight ground corn to about 30 hens and the occasional sneaky goat. They do get any produce that we don't eat or could not sell. Tons of squash and pumpkins lately.

Back
Top Bottom