Sneezing meat chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by deb1960, Jun 28, 2010.

1. deb1960

deb1960 Hatching

Jun 28, 2010
    Good day,
    I am very new at raising meat chickens. This is my second year. I have 24 meat chickens. I noticed yesterday that some of them are sneezing and making an unusual noise. I clean the coop every two days. I also have 26 baby chicks in the same coop (which are caged separately). The coop is 8 x 12. I allow my birds to free range during the day and at night I put them away for fear of coyotes. What am I doing wrong? I did not have this problem last year.
    I am also worried for my other chickens on the property. I have 37 laying hens and a few decorative chickens, 10 to be exact. I just love these animals. Excuse the pun but great chicken soup for the soul. Everyone should own a chicken or two. They are marvelous to have and very funny to watch. Even the meat chickens who are not pretty have character. If anyone can help me, please, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

1 husband, 1 eight year old daughter, 37 hens, 13 rabbits, 1 pony, a pigmy goat , a big german sheppard rescued), a chihuahua(rescued), 10 decorative hens, another hen(which I think is a rooster) and a bunch of kittens that were dropped off during the night...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    unfortunately i can't give you any useful information, as i have not experienced any illness personally (*knock on wood*) w/in my flock. i am sure there is someone much more experienced on here who will be able to help. if not, maybe try doing a search or posting in the emergencies/diseases section.

also.. [​IMG]

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i usually have a few that sneeze - they do make a lot of dust and bedding contributes to that. if they have watery runny eyes, it may be something to worry about, but just a few sneezes is normal.

4. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    I've noticed with my Cornish Crosses I'll get sneezy birds when they've been in a brooder or other enclosure with litter. They just poop so much that once they are two weeks old, you just can't keep it clean enough. I had sneezy birds until I modified my brooder box and installed a wire mesh floor out of 1/2" hardware cloth. I raised the brooder up off the floor and put papers down to catch the poop. It's a cinch to replace the papers now and the birds aren't bedding down in their own poop.

Once they get out of the brooder, I use a chicken tractor and move them multiple times a day.

This is the only method that has worked for me to avoid the sneezy meat birds.

Dan

5. willheveland

willheveland Songster

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Sometimes I think they sneeze and make that squeak sound from when they are feeding and getting some in their snoot. Will

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I agree I have had some do this as well.. Its like there is something stuck up thier nose...

7. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    All my CX batches make a sneezy noise. I figured it was just how they are.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by