Sneezing meat chickens

deb1960

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Good day,
I am very new at raising meat chickens. This is my second year. I have 24 meat chickens. I noticed yesterday that some of them are sneezing and making an unusual noise. I clean the coop every two days. I also have 26 baby chicks in the same coop (which are caged separately). The coop is 8 x 12. I allow my birds to free range during the day and at night I put them away for fear of coyotes. What am I doing wrong? I did not have this problem last year.
I am also worried for my other chickens on the property. I have 37 laying hens and a few decorative chickens, 10 to be exact. I just love these animals. Excuse the pun but great chicken soup for the soul. Everyone should own a chicken or two. They are marvelous to have and very funny to watch. Even the meat chickens who are not pretty have character. If anyone can help me, please, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

1 husband, 1 eight year old daughter, 37 hens, 13 rabbits, 1 pony, a pigmy goat , a big german sheppard rescued), a chihuahua(rescued), 10 decorative hens, another hen(which I think is a rooster) and a bunch of kittens that were dropped off during the night...
smile.png
smile.png

unfortunately i can't give you any useful information, as i have not experienced any illness personally (*knock on wood*) w/in my flock. i am sure there is someone much more experienced on here who will be able to help. if not, maybe try doing a search or posting in the emergencies/diseases section.

also..
welcome-byc.gif

i usually have a few that sneeze - they do make a lot of dust and bedding contributes to that. if they have watery runny eyes, it may be something to worry about, but just a few sneezes is normal.

I've noticed with my Cornish Crosses I'll get sneezy birds when they've been in a brooder or other enclosure with litter. They just poop so much that once they are two weeks old, you just can't keep it clean enough. I had sneezy birds until I modified my brooder box and installed a wire mesh floor out of 1/2" hardware cloth. I raised the brooder up off the floor and put papers down to catch the poop. It's a cinch to replace the papers now and the birds aren't bedding down in their own poop.

Once they get out of the brooder, I use a chicken tractor and move them multiple times a day.

This is the only method that has worked for me to avoid the sneezy meat birds.

Dan

Well I just found this thread and jt makes me feel a lot better about my 2 week old CX who are sneezing all the sudden! I'll watch out for other symptoms still - thanks OP and replies!

Good day,
I am very new at raising meat chickens. This is my second year. I have 24 meat chickens. I noticed yesterday that some of them are sneezing and making an unusual noise. I clean the coop every two days. I also have 26 baby chicks in the same coop (which are caged separately). The coop is 8 x 12. I allow my birds to free range during the day and at night I put them away for fear of coyotes. What am I doing wrong? I did not have this problem last year.
I am also worried for my other chickens on the property. I have 37 laying hens and a few decorative chickens, 10 to be exact. I just love these animals. Excuse the pun but great chicken soup for the soul. Everyone should own a chicken or two. They are marvelous to have and very funny to watch. Even the meat chickens who are not pretty have character. If anyone can help me, please, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

1 husband, 1 eight year old daughter, 37 hens, 13 rabbits, 1 pony, a pigmy goat , a big german sheppard rescued), a chihuahua(rescued), 10 decorative hens, another hen(which I think is a rooster) and a bunch of kittens that were dropped off during the night...
smile.png
smile.png
I keep Nubiotic on hand, it last a long time. It only needs 1 ml per gallon of water, so I use a syringe to measure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7WF528/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom