Sneezing? Odd Poop? Should I be Worried? I'm a Newbie.

Cadie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
KY
I'm sorry if I cause undue worry, but I am worried. I want to ask what chicken sneezes sound like, because I'm not sure if my chicks are sneezing or not. They make a little, almost not audible "FT" , and then they go on their merry way. Mostly, I notice it when I take them outside, but it always stops after a little bit. And what is sneezing a symptom of?
Then, this morning, I noticed an odd poop. It is very watery, creamy colored. I've noticed three of them, one had some red stuff in it, but I don't think it's blood. But, I'm not sure. Is this normal? I think it's only one chick, but I'm not sure. Then, another one I saw making watery, but otherwise normal looking poop. Is that normal? And what can I do about this? Last night was the first night that I left the light off for them. Could this have anything to do with it?
I have 8, almost four-week-old buff orp chicks, and they have been VERY healthy. They are growing really fast, and are getting feathers fine. They all seem to be eating and drinking plenty. I mentioned I turned the light off last night; I've been turning it off during the day for a few days now. But, when I noticed the odd poop, I turned the light back on. They are gathering in front of it. The thing is, they haven't showed any signs of being too cold. They were running around, like they always do when I come down in the morning. Evenly spaced and all.
Thank you, anyone and everyone who can answer some of these questions.

Last edited:
I am new to chicks as well and had the same questions and am overly worried since I am new too and I want to make sure that I am doing everything right! I think I can help you with some of your questions though. The poop thing I have found out is something that they do like every 5 poops... its some kind of way that they clean out. I will try to findn this one website that is baisically all on the differnet kinds of chicken poop. Mine sneeze like yours all the time, but its nothing to be worried about. I was told that its from the dust or the pollen and what not. Now if it is consistent and thick mucus is coming out or they are having trouble breathing... then its time to worry. Is your chick grit red??? Are you feeing them anything reddish???

I hope this has helped!

Thank you so much for quick replies. It's good to know I don't have to worry so much. In fact, I turned the light back for them on this morning, and I haven't seen anymore odd poop. And I am sure it is probably dust that is making them sneeze. Thanks again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom