1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Sneezing Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl4513, Jun 8, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    One of my Brahmas has started a sneezing episode. I've never had a chicken sneeze. [​IMG] Is this common or could there be an underlying problem?

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I had one of mine sneeze yesterday. It was kinda funny sounding. I think she sniffed in too much dusty dirt when she was poking around, then she sneezed, it sounded like a gazoo. Is your chicken acting OK? Sneezing constantly?

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Not all the time sneezing as of yet... but she wasn't dusting either at the time. So I'm not sure what it is. It could be that we have been so dry... no rain for 2 wks, it is raining now may be that will clear the air for her.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have a hen that's been sneezing for weeks. Otherwise, she acts fine. Several of ours had a mild respiratory thing a few months ago, that we treated with Terramycin. This one seemed to just never get over it, but she never got any worse, either. We had two hens die from Avian TB early last spring; this is supposed to be contagious but not all will get it. At this point we're just adopting a wait and see attitude.

5. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so glaad I found someone with the same thing as me....I was thinking somethin mighta bin wrong becuz one of my pullets was sneezzing for a long time today...ISn't it the cutest lil baca sounding thing every!!! I LOVE IT

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    If they keep sneezing and you think they might have something wrong, you can mash up a clove or 2 of garlic and throw it in their water for a day or two. (Don't mix with ACV though)
    Mine had sneezing and runny noses back when we were having all that smoke, and for some reason the garlic even helped with that!

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A few of mine were sneezing and had clear runny noses back at around 5
    weeks. Whatever it was jumped around to 4 out of my 30 chicks. I bought
    Terramycin but never used it. My chickies sneeze a bit now at 15 weeks but
    there is no sign of illness. They seem to do it when they get excited, kinda
    like the dog. They'll also sneeze more while ranging and dusting.

The garlic idea sounds good.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I know how they feel............[​IMG] I hear white chocolate helps.......i better go try it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by