sneezing silkie with video!

mountainchick5

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Pine,Colorado
We have a 6week old blue silkie that is sneezing and has a runny nose. I've seperated her from the flock with her sibling that is the same age and also sneezes every so often, but not as much. They're in a bin in our sunroom with a heat lamp. The temps outside have been 45high and high20-low30's at night.(it's been snowing here!) They were hatched by a broody hen my friend had and given to us, when they were a few days old. So they've been outside raised by mama hen until now. I'm going to try and upload a video. Do you think Tetracycline Hydrochloride (antibiotic) is appropriate? Poor thing sneezes and honks at the same time!
sad.png
She sneezes towards the end of the video.

Her poops seem normal and she still has an appetite. She's on crumbles and this morning I gave her a hardboiled egg and some blueberries and bananas.

Last edited:
Have you tried using Vet RX? I guess you could say it's kind of like Vicks Vapor Rub for chickens. I would saturate an end of a Qtip and then rub it inside her beak. I found this way a lot easier than trying to put a drop down the beak. You can also put some in their water, so when they drink it gets near their nostrils. Rub some under the wings and on her head before bedtime. My chickens seemed to like this and would hop against the door every night until I applied the stuff. Just make sure you read the directions to get the correct water/VetRX ratio.

I also used TH at the same time and everything cleared up very quickly.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom