Sneezing Silkies!!!

lirpalyn

Chirping
Sep 18, 2020
Georgia
I bought a 6-month-old Silkie about a month ago. I noticed it sneezing on day 1 so I quarantined her and eventually gave her 5 days of Tylan. The sneezing improved but never totally went away. I took her to the vet because she had loose stool and was told she had roundworms. I gave her 5 days of Panacur, am now waiting 10 days to give another round of Panacur. The vet assured me that I could go ahead and reintegrate her with the flock after 5 days of Panacur even though she was still sneezing some. Well, sure enough the rest of my Silkies are now sneezing! I’m so upset because I saw this coming but the vet convinced me it would be fine. They have no other symptoms. Should I just keep an eye on them to see if more symptoms develop or is there something I should be doing?

I feel your pain. I have a respiratory disease in my flock too (assuming that is what you have) because an ignorant AVIAN vet assured me they would not be carriers for life, even when I specifically asked.

I'll let the experts respond to your questions, but when one of mine starts sneezing it spreads quickly & within a few days they're all sneezing. I dose them with Tylan for 5 days & they all clear up. Mine never have any other symptoms other than a little raspy-ness, no snot, no bubbly eyes, no lack of appetite.

Having carriers in the flock stinks, any new chickens you add will get it. Don't visit any friends with chickens, or let them visit your flock. I ended up culling a mean girl because I couldn't re-home her because she was a carrier. It stinks.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some answers soon.

I feel your pain. I have a respiratory disease in my flock too (assuming that is what you have) because an ignorant AVIAN vet assured me they would not be carriers for life, even when I specifically asked.

I'll let the experts respond to your questions, but when one of mine starts sneezing it spreads quickly & within a few days they're all sneezing. I dose them with Tylan for 5 days & they all clear up. Mine never have any other symptoms other than a little raspy-ness, no snot, no bubbly eyes, no lack of appetite.

Having carriers in the flock stinks, any new chickens you add will get it. Don't visit any friends with chickens, or let them visit your flock. I ended up culling a mean girl because I couldn't re-home her because she was a carrier. It stinks.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some answers soon.
Thank you! I’m SO
upset at that vet! These hens are my son’s pets so it will be awful if we lose one, much less all of them! And I have chicks in the brooder so I’m sure they’re going to get it, too, when I add them to the flock.

Do you have more Tylan? I'd dose them all for 5-7 days & see if it helps. Be very careful about changing clothes & shoes & stuff when working with the different groups of birds - you may just pass it back & forth & I'm not sure how the littles in the brooders would handle being sick.

(and by dosing them all, I don't mean the ones in the brooder, I don't know anything about littles in brooders!)

Depending on which disease is causing it, they’ll be lifelong permanent carriers. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and Infectious Coryza are by far, the most common. These diseases are chronic and incurable, but symptoms are treatable. The symptoms come back within times of stress for the bird. Don’t breed to sell to others and keep a closed flock.

Do you have more Tylan? I'd dose them all for 5-7 days & see if it helps. Be very careful about changing clothes & shoes & stuff when working with the different groups of birds - you may just pass it back & forth & I'm not sure how the littles in the brooders would handle being sick.

(and by dosing them all, I don't mean the ones in the brooder, I don't know anything about littles in brooders!)
Yes I still have Tylan. I was thinking I should wait until I finish deworming so they’re not on two meds at once? What do you think?

Depending on which disease is causing it, they’ll be lifelong permanent carriers. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and Infectious Coryza are by far, the most common. These diseases are chronic and incurable, but symptoms are treatable. The symptoms come back within times of stress for the bird. Don’t breed to sell to others and keep a closed flock.
That’s what I was afraid of. 😕 What do you use to treat the symptoms?

Attachments

• 0D41ADFE-0B6F-4CF0-ABCA-E1E40CFF6BC2.jpeg
    0D41ADFE-0B6F-4CF0-ABCA-E1E40CFF6BC2.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom