1. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    one of my hens started to sneeze what should i do for her?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How often is she sneezing?
    Does she have any other symptoms - coughing, wheezing, discharge/mucous from the eyes or nose?

Dry dusty coops and feed, getting feed in the nostrils, mold, fungus or mildew, ammonia from buildup of feces and respiratory illness are some of the reasons for sneezing.

If the sneezing is accompanied by other symptoms then she may have a respiratory illness. You can try using something like VetRx to see if there is any improvement. Antibiotic treatment may be in order if she develops complications or secondary bacteria infection from illness (pus in the eyes, facial swelling, thick mucous from the nostrils, etc.).

Separate her so you can monitor her symptoms. Add some poultry vitamins to her water - see that she is drinking well and eating her normal food.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. ECarter1217

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    no other symptoms I discovered it when she went to drink some water appetite is good so is fluid intake

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. ECarter1217

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    not often just when she drinks

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

7. ECarter1217

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    I have never had chickens before is there anything I should adding to their water they are 28 weeks now and have not seen an egg they seem happy

8. ECarter1217

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    ok thank you so much

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Personally I don't add anything to the water. Fresh clean water daily. In hot weather - clean cold water changed a couple of times a day or more. I am more of a "basic" chicken keeper - fresh feed, fresh water, a small amount of treats (sunflower seed/scratch), fresh greens/veggies and fruit. During growing season, I do pull weeds from the garden for them to dig through and give veggies/fruit from the garden. I try to make the bulk of their daily intake their normal feed and limit other things to no more than 10% of their daily intake - this is with feeding a Flock Raiser (20% protein) feed. I do keep a bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench (poultry vitamins) on hand in case one of my chickens seems to need it. I have used it with a couple of hens that were a bit droopy going through a hard molt and for one that was having a bit of problems with laying.

Some people do add Apple Cider Vinegar or various other things like garlic, herbs, etc. to the water - I don't see anything wrong with it - it's a personal preference. There are a lot of threads here on BYC and articles on the web about adding these things to water, giving supplements, etc.

Depending on the breed you have, at 28weeks you may soon have eggs! They will take their own sweet time[​IMG] and start when their body is ready.

Offer oyster shell free choice - this is for added calcium. They will consume pieces when they need it.

It can be very overwhelming and confusing with all the information about chicken keeping. Use common sense and do some reading/research to determine what is best for you. You will do just fine!

10. ECarter1217

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    ok thank you that is very good info for me I do have the oyster shells in the coop for them the breed is Rhode island reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by