sneezing....?

This thread is a little old but I was glad to see your results...
Yesterday I added aspen bedding to my chicks and immediately I got sneezing. I withdrew it after about 18 hours, but the sneezing has actually increased in the following 24 hours. Their food does seem to be dusty (Start N' Grow) and the sneezing really increases with water drinking. You said you sifted the food and it helped? I'm thinking of going out and buying some flat marbles, as well, to keep them from dunking their beaks.

They are now almost a week old and this is driving me insane... I'm so worried because I have my African Gray in the same room and I feel so stupid-- everyone tells me I'm just paranoid but it makes me absolutely beside myself...

One thing I am considering is that I use Feliway Pheromones for my cats in the room, as well. They use "plug-in" air freshener technology to disperse the pheromone, and I've heard humans react to that.

My parrot has never seemed to mind it, however, and NO ONE sneezed until I put in that extra-fine, dusty aspen... MUCH smaller flakes than what I'm used to seeing.

I'm praying it just goes away.

I've been staring at pages about Newcastle's and I'm beside myself... it's 3 AM... These birds haven't even seen an adult chicken and I've been paranoid from day one because this is my first flock with Marek's vaccinations and I've heard that lowers their immunity-- I enforce witch hazel washings before/after handling chicks, and being that I do coop duty with my big chickens, I have never let my chicks contact my clothing...

I lost two to genetic defects... PRO TIP: Wait until off season to order from a big hatchery-- you might not get weak chicks that take two days to get to you in the mail...

Sorry to ramble... right now, it's just sneezing with no discharge. Everyone is eating and drinking well, but I got really upset when one of my Spitzhaubens started whining-- not actually screaming, but just acting like something was amiss. Her cage had been changed and I'd added a perch and lowered the temp. I don't hear her right now though so maybe having increased the temperature again helped.

The problem with raising black and white chicks together is some act cold and others you'll catch occasional gasping even if they have plenty of room to leave the heat.

It was 87 for my Marans, now it's 91 for my Spitzs...

sigh... I had no problems with my first two broods and was so blissfully unaware. I think I can officially swear chickens off after this brood... it's just not good for my mental health, and I NEVER EVER want to risk the lives of my other birds.

Why did you get them vaccinated? I am just wondering. I have never done so, and the hatcheries seem to not recommend it for a small flock.

I hope your sneezing goes away.

You are not paranoid, just a good chicken mum.
hugs.gif

Catherine

Frankly? Because I have read too many archived threads here of a more helpless person hand feeding their poor doomed bird(s) until they finally stretch out and die. Granted it is spread by dander and feather follicles, and I've never heard of Marak's around here, but I figured it couldn't hurt, especially if I want to show them at fairs, etc. Then I read something about it lowering immunity in the chicks somewhere around here, and the paranoia-- it started.
tongue.png

When I was a child, my mother had 36 bantams all Marak's vaccinated and nothing ever happened to any of them (until the fox, that is). Ignorance can sometimes be bliss.

They do appear to be sneezing less this morning, and I just realized that when I added the bedding, I opened the bottom of the bag, meaning I got the dust that had settled.
roll.png

Well, for the archives, I will add that the sneezing has reduced to what I would consider normal, but it took about two days of the shavings being gone. Don't expect immediate results. Everyone is healthy, happy, and growing like weeds. It seems that the Start N' Grow is a little dustier than the Southern States chick starter I have used in the past.

Now I have 13 week day old chicks on paper towels-- that's a lot of changing! I'm going to get a bag of pine shavings and some timothy hay and see if I can recreate the success I have had before.

Last edited:
LOL. I just realized that posts had been added to this thread! Sorry I missed it, and I hope your chicks are doing well.

I use feliway plug-ins for my cats as well.....never even thought about that causing a problem.

I got the mareks vaccine for my flock of 5. I saw that mypetchicken.com recommended it, and a girl who keeps chickens here locally told me she didn't vaccinate her first flock and lost all her birds as adults to mareks. It must be fairly common in my area, so I choose to vaccinate. It wouldn't surprise me if it lowers their immune system though, as I had two weak chicks that I had to separate and hand feed out of my five.

Even though baby chicks are the cutest, sweetest little things alive, I have to say, I'm so glad my girls are grown now! I was a total wreck for the first three weeks of their lives!! They are all happy and healthy, living outside now. They are still sweet, and I still adore them....but now I'm actually able to sleep!
lau.gif

Hope you're getting some sleep now too!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom