sneezing....?

I also give them small amounts of active organic yogurt.

I hope more people will respond to this thread! It seems like everyone feels differently about the sneezing and I am so worried that if something Is wrong, I'll catch it too late. When I get home from work (not till 10:00 tonight!) I will change their bedding to towels and see if that helps.

I can get Tylan for them but I'm scared to give it to them because two of my chicks were really weak before and have just recently gotten better, I don't know if they could handle an antibiotic right now.....

What would you guys do?

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't worry without other symptoms. If you look up any of the respiratory diseases they all have other symptoms. I've learned that there are many normal things in a brooder that can make a chick sneeze (shavings, water, feed dust, etc).

Hmm now that I'm looking back at the original post, you mentioned panting. The only things that come to mind for that are (1) too hot, but you mentioned they can get away from the light, and (2) gapeworm gives them the appearance of panting with their mouth open. You might want to post something in the Emergency forum, as you may get more responses in there. Though as they are chicks it's equally appropriate here. Just trying to think of things to help. Haha!

As to overeating, the only time that is an issue is if the chicks aren't getting enough water. If they have free access to both feed and water they should be fine. If you only feed a specific amount of feed they can feed pack (eat as quick and as much as possible without water intake) which they can die from.

Let us know how they are doing this evening when you get home.

Thank you so much Airilith, I think my littlest salmon faverolles might be stuffing herself.....she is about half
the size of the others and got pushed away from the feeder a bit by the bigger girls. I added another feeder and waterer to make sure they all got ennough to eat and drink. Perhaps she just filled up after that. I can't wait to get home and check on them.....they are all so sweet, especially the little one. When the others are sleeping she walks around and picks the pine shavings off of them, one by one, and puts them on the ground. Such a cute little girl!

Are all new chick mommas this neurotic? Every time they act the slightest bit different I think something is wrong with them! My fiance just got off of work and went to check in on them and they are all still doing fine. I was half expecting to come home and find them all sick or dying! LOL, I am such a mess!
roll.png

Off to look up gapeworms on the forum search....
Thanks again!

Yup, all new chick moms are that neurotic!

I didn't mean to make you worry more, I just know that I would be worried about sneezing.

I think the organic yogurt is a good idea.

Adding another feeder and waterer is another good idea. I always try to have a number of them all scattered around with chicks, and I almost never have a problem with pecking.

hugs.gif

Catherine

Not sure about the sneezing, I would just watch and wait as the others have suggested. But--with ACV, you only want to use 1-2 tablespoons per gallon and not in a metal container, and don't put poly-vi-sol in the water (it tastes awful). Poly-vi-sol is really only for problem chicks, for a short period. Too many vits, etc. can dehydrate them (keep the water plain). If they are panting, I would make sure they aren't too hot--do they ever go under the light? They should run around all over, and not hang in the corners away from the light.

My chickens sneeze occasionally - they're all over a year old and sometime they sneeze when they are drinking (I think it's because they tend to submerge their beaks and get water in their noses).
In the absence of other symptoms I wouldn't worry too much.
I nearly killed myself with paranoia over mine for the longest time - enjoy yours as much as you can!!
smile.png

Quote:
YES!!! I obessed over my first chicks, thinking it would be a one time thing. Ummm no. Haha! I still pop out of bed bright and early to make sure the temps are just right; my heart pauses when I here a sneeze (just in case); I overanalyze whether a chick is moving 'enough'; I take mental head counts of who I've seen at the feeders/waterers. Though with this batch I'm also laughing at myself this time. I just want them happy and healthy, and I know in a few more weeks my stress level will go back to normal. Well until I get more. Hehe!

Okay, I just got home and everybody seems fine. A little sneeze here and there, but no discharge, no bubbles in eyes, etc.....I might put paper towels down tomorrow to see if the pine dust is what's making them sneeze.

The little one (Bernice) still has a hard crop. She is acting normal and drinking water (I cleaned out their water and did not put any ACV in this time)
And i just saw her poop. I am going to take the feed out tonight and see if it is down in the morning. Should I be careful reintroducing food to them tomorrow so they don't gorge themselves? I don't want to seperate her.....it stresses her out way to much.

You guys are the best! I would be loosing my mind right now if I didn't have this forum!

When you put the feed back down I would just keep an eye on them and make sure that they are also drinking. There shouldn't be too much of a problem with them gorging, as it's not like they've been starved.

I'm very happy to hear that you still don't have any other symptoms. It'll be interesting to see if they stop now that the shavings are gone.

I thought I would post an update in case someone else has this problem and searches the forum. I took out the pine shavings and the sneezing decreased. They were still sneezing a little and I noticed that their chick crumbles were dusty, so I sifted them and that seemed to take care of the problem.

Yesterday I put the pine shavings back it, but first I let them air outside. I scooped some into a box and shook/ tossed them several times over the course of an hour or so to get the dust out. So far so good!

Apparently, my little peepers don't like dusty food And bedding.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom