1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Is an occasional sneeze okay for a week old chick? My little New Hampshire Red sneezed once yesterday and again a few mins ago.

Just curious because this is the only time I have caught her sneezing and they just began really scratching and stirring up the dust/shavings in the brooder.

There is no discharge or color change on or around her beak and she is acting normal, eating drinking and so forth.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Probably just dust or feed up her nose. Even drinking too fast, they'll sneeze. One hen of mine in particular has sneezing fits when she tries to eat scratch faster than anyone else.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Well as this is my 'Mizz Bossy' I wanted to make sure that chickens could and do sneeze every now and then...

Forgive me ignorance as I am a new mommy and I still will not leave the house for more than an hour yet. [​IMG] My husband thinks I am crazy. I keep telling him...ANYTHING can happen...they could drown, get out, get hurt, get sick...he just laughs at me. Thanks for the input...I will keep an eye on her just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by