1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I noticed today that my silkie chicks (2 months...not really sure if they're still chicks LOL) sneeze...Could this be because they live with pigeons? There are 2 pigeons who share the coop but they are healthy, as far as I can determine, and they don't sneeze. Do I need to buy medication or anything??

Thanks [​IMG]

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Sneezing can be indicative of a variety of illnesses, if you can provide a little more information maybe someone else with more knowledge can help you better. Here are the recommended questions to answer in your post to get the most specific advice. Good luck.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use​

3. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Are they outside or confined to a building. Do you have any other chickens besides the silkies?[​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    1. Silkies, 2 months
    2. Once in a while when they are eating, or after drinking, this small *tish* sound
    3. 2-3 Days, max
    4. No
    5. no
    6. I don't know, they look normal, excited, loud ETC.
    7. Occasionally seeds but mostly starter pellets
    8. Normal
    9. Nothing [​IMG]
    10. Treating the bird myself
    11. No wound [​IMG]
    12. Using sugar cane mulch as bedding (it used to be just sand and dirt) because I am leaving for 2 weeks on the 10th

Oh, and there is no discharge from the nostrils unless they have been drinking water...

Thanks [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    don't medicate unless you know what it is your dealing with. Hopefully it is nothing serious. Is your coop dusty?

6. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    I cleaned it out yesterday, so it's not dusty, but maybe it's the pigeon dust?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by