snobs wont eat scratch

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
What else can i give them to get them some 'extra weight on their bones' to keep them going throught the cold winter nights? I have tried two different kinds of scratch. i have found the ultimate scratch at our ag center, and they look at it like 'whatever' and walk away. They are starting to look a litte ragged and skinny!

Have any of you had feathers that started to look freyed? almost like the little tines of the feather are breaking off? Like split ends on our hair? why? i am wondering if it is a deficiency or if my roo is being to much of a 'happy camper' ?????
roll.png

Last edited:
Your roo could be a little too happy or they could have mites or lice. Check the base of the feathers right next to the skin and see if you see lice or mites. The mites will look like small grains of pepper. The vent is also a good place to check. Sometimes I use a small piece of scotch tape, stick it on the skin and hold it up to the light to see what I can see. Have someone help you by holding the bird while examining. Make sure you are in good light or use a flashlight if you have to.

Mites or lice would account for the ratty feathers and the weight loss.

To add weight I give them shell-less black oil sunflower seed and table scraps. They love chicken and turkey carcasses. Sometime this week or weekend put a big roasting chicken in the oven while you do other things. After dinner take off the leftover meat for sandwiches or casseroles and give the bones to the chickens. The extra protein and fat will do them a lot of good. I make at least one roaster a week. There's nothing better than roasting a chicken with a butternut squash and some baked potatoes. Everyone loves it and it only take 20 minutes to prepare put bakes for hours.

If you do find mites or lice you'll have to clean out the coop and start from scratch. Also dust the coop and chickens with Sevin dust. I would recommend dusting the chickens outside so they and you have enough fresh air and don't inhale that stuff.

So sevin dust won't hurt the chickens? I've asked this before but no one answered.
You could try corn to put more weight on them.

I know someone that gives theirs sweet feed, I think its for horses, goats etc....Im gonna try it for mine, I guess they Love it

Quote:
No, Sevin dust won't hurt them. I've used it on tiny chicks with no ill effects. Also, if they are thin, they probably need to be dewormed. I use Eprinex cattle pour on, it gets internal and external parasites really well.

Quote:
========
I add a little sweet feed to their laying feed a couple of times a week. Already have it for my goats anyway. Also today they get spaghetti (looks like worms, I guess, coz it's usually a feeding frenzy), cooked oatmeal/grits/garlic, and produce.

Keep trying lots of different things.

Quote:
No, Sevin dust won't hurt them. I've used it on tiny chicks with no ill effects. Also, if they are thin, they probably need to be dewormed. I use Eprinex cattle pour on, it gets internal and external parasites really well.

Thanks for clearing that up for me
big_smile.png
I need something to thin out the ants in my yard but I didn't want it to kill any birds.

My chickens love spaghetti and macaroni. It dissappears as fast as I can get it to my chickens.

Sevin dust is ok to use, done it before too. Mine do not have any mites, worms, etc. I had a HUGE issue with that a few months back. They are in great shape that way. I am thinking Mr. Superbird is just a 'busy boy'.
wink.png

Well, solution provided. Even told the hubby i needed to do this to 'save my flock'...... OMG he actually bought it.

I ordered more hens.......
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

If they are to snobby for scratch, well then.........
I will just find something else for these 10 brats (soon to be 16!) to eat.

Back
Top Bottom