1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snooty Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkypie, Sep 23, 2009.

1. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    So, DH and I made a cute little coup for our girls in hopes they would enjoy laying their eggs in there.

There are 3 separate nesting boxes. I took the advice that I have read on here and put 2 golf balls in 2 of the nesting boxes and since I ran out of those I found a blue plastic egg from Easter and put that in the 3rd box.

They will not lay in the boxes with the golf balls. They sit up in there and like to poop [​IMG] But.. with the blue egg in the box they will ALL (which is only 3 of them) will nest and lay in the same box.

I really wish they occupied all the nesting boxes instead of all taking turns.

Crazy chickens! [​IMG]

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    It might not even matter if you had 6 nestboxes and blue eggs in all of them.. I have 7 laying and they all laying in the same 2 boxes (I have 4 boxes)...I have wooden eggs painted purple--bright purple in there...My nephew has golf balls in all his nest boxes (he has 7 boxes for 10 girls) and they all lay in two boxes... Glad your girls are at least laying..

And yes, they can be snooty!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    For some reason, they all seem to like the same nesting box! That is normal and to be expected. Don't ask me why, but they can be so quirky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by