Snotty, raspy chickens

I really don't care for giving antibiotic's in the water. You never know if sick birds are going to drink enough and the dose can really vary from day to day. If you don't want to use Tylan 50 as an injectable you can also give it orally, the dose is 1/2 cc per day for 5 days. This avoids injection site issues.

I had infectious bronchitis go through my flock two years ago. I took one bird to the vet who gave me enough meds to treat the whole flock, I had 8 at the time. They all survived and are doing fine. My problem with telling anyone to cull their birds is that these diseases are so common and there are so many of them that you could potentially cull flock after flock of birds every time some come down with some respiratory bug. Many people have some kind of bug in their flock and won't even know it if birds are not symptomatic. Obviously in a larger operation where good egg production or hatching eggs are the main focus then no, you can't treat and maintain a flock that has come down with something. But I really can't discourage any owner of a small flock from treating their birds and keeping them.

I think I am going to cull this bird. I have a flock of over 20 birds and the only way I get the money to keep them is by selling eggs so I can't risk infecting the whole flock. It's such a shame as it seems healthy in all other respects, but I can't risk it.

I skipped thru the last threads as I wanted to post before I forgot what I wanted to say.

First off I've dealt with the same thing you have. Bought 5 chicks from a man and didn't quarantine and they infected my flock and I lost my black split orphington show rooster among others. I took him to the state vet for an autopsy and the following directions are what I was advised by them.

Oxy-tet(I can't remember the name on the bag of powder) or duramycin-10(also powder) both of these are administered at a rate of 1/2 tbsp per quart or 2 tbsp per gallon for 7 days. You do not have to discard the eggs, 1. unless you are selling 2. If you or anyone consuming have antibiotic allergies. Also you should be giving some kind of probiotics. I feed fermented feed but prior was giving 1 tsp per quart feed of Pro-Bis powder. Save-A-Chick would also work. Your choice to cull flock has alot of factors to consider. If your just raising them for a few eggs for you home theirs no need. If their are any wild birds eating with your chickens or in their runs the chances of them reinfecting a new flock are about 99%. This is why I chose a different route, many wild birds, ducks and geese live on my oroperty. I am fortunate to have 47 acres so I kept my main flock and I built new coops over 500 feet away to gave another uninfected flock. Strict biosecurity has to be followed.

Pm me anytime if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I am wrong. I was at a different feed store yesterday and did see some that contains chlortetracycline. Not sure what the difference is between that and tetracycline. It's Manna Pro Aureomycin. It's supposedly suitable for a variety of livestock, including poultry with CRD or fowl cholera. Here is the link.

http://www.mannapro.com/products/cattle/aureomycin/

The site states: Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infection caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli susceptible to Chlortetracycline

so there's no guarantee it will work.​
Well, I never knew that there was such a thing.
idunno.gif

I think I am going to cull this bird. I have a flock of over 20 birds and the only way I get the money to keep them is by selling eggs so I can't risk infecting the whole flock. It's such a shame as it seems healthy in all other respects, but I can't risk it.
If your chicken has infectious bronchitis, all the other chickens probably have been exposed because it travels through air as well as on shoes, hands, and utensils. I don't want to downplay this disease, but it usually isn't that serious to most flocks of adult chickens. It is a virus, and usually lasts about 30 days with sneezing and nasal drainage being the usual symptoms. Most times it doesn't need an antibiotic. Your egg production may fall for a time, then may recover. Some birds can be carriers for up to a year, so don't raise any chicks or get new birds for a year, and you should be fine.

I agree with Christie. Im not sure where you are from but here in wisconsin im only 20 minutes from the lab and its much cheaper to walk in with the bird rather than thru a vet. Also you can do specific tests from a blood draw that are no more than $3 each. I wish you luck with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom