Snotty Teenager Phase?

xtremevermonter

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Bradford, VT
Our chicks are 8 1/2 weeks old now and recently started becoming less friendly towards us whereas they were very friendly towards us as babies. Are they going through some snotty teenager phase they will grow out of? Will they become friendly again? Is there anything we might be doing wrong?

Just keep feeding them. Treats (like grapes) that make them come to you. Food is a chickens greatest motivation. I give my Girls grapes, one at a time, calling them by name as they get them. Opal likes when I hold the grape while she eats it, that way it doesn't get stolen from her!

Mine were fairly standoffish from about 8 weeks until they started laying. Just one was friendly throughout this period. She was also a little standoffish the last couple weeks before she started laying. Once they started laying, the other ones got friendly too. Now everyone is friendly, lets me pick them up. Sometimes they will try to run away, but they know the word "treats" and they will come running.

I also use empty aluminum pie pans (that you buy pie crust or pre-made pies in) to shake scratch for them. It makes a lot of noise, and they know I have treats. They can hear it, and come running...

Back
Top Bottom