1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

snow in the coop - too cold for polish?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Dec 12, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in northern Michigan and right now we are under blizzard warnings. Earlier in the year I winterized my coop and eliminated the drafty areas. However I didn't do a great job on the east side. I left the eaves open for ventilation and the top of the peak again on the east side. Most of our winds come from the south or west. However this blizzard that we are dealing with now is blowing from the east. So this morning I had to shovel snow from the coop. I stuffed some old sheets into the eaves until the wind direction changes. All I have for heat is a light above their roosts. How do I determine if they are warm enough? What behavior shows they are too cold? I have mainly polish that I am worried about although I am concerned about my guineas also. I know I'm going to have a moisture problem once it warms up a little.

2. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I'm in WI, and have the same problem!!! I don't know what to do, and my girls are still pretty young (3 months).

3. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    I've read over and over that you are better off with a vented coop than an air tight one even in the cold. It is supposed to get down to -8 windchill here tonight. I have many polish as well as others. If your coop isn't huge they should create enough body heat to keep each other warm. As soon as the blizzard is over I would remove the sheets and let the air flow through.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    as long as the roost is flat enough for them to sit on their feet they will be fine.

Wild birds are out in this w/o a coop! Plus polish have on hats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by