Snow in the South -- Check In Here

Yeah every morning I remember "dadgum it u forgot to bring em in last night! " lol

I look at the overnight forecast in the evening before I go down to shut them up in order to decide if I should bring the water in.

Yesterday I never opened up because I know I wasn't going to want to go out there in the dark in the mess to close it.

Hey guys, if you have to haul anything through the snow get yourself a fishing sled.. The sled makes everything easier! I haul my waterers, hay bales, feed, tools & supplies!
I use our sled to haul bins of wood up onto the porch. It works great!
More like where I grew up -- Pittsburgh, PA
D(ear)H is from Bethel Park, a suburb of PGH. I knew I was never, ever going to drive in the city when we went to visit his mom and bro. She had a big road map book called, "Pittsburgh Figured Out."

We used to go out the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and it was about an 8-9 hour drive. We'd get in really late. Then we'd leave just after breakfast on Sunday morning. One time, we missed an exit. We took another one, made an illegal U-turn, and were back on the way in 10 minutes. DH told me, "If it had been rush hour, that would have taken an hour, maybe more." No thanks!

@3KillerBs, are you a Steeler fan?

I really feel for you all north of me. I strongly suspect I'm just south of the snow line in the coming days. We are hitting 24 or 25 tonight, hard freeze, and projecting 26 tommorow, so its possible we might see snow in FL, but I doubt it. Been either raining or drizzling most of the last two-three days, I expect the cloud cover moving off is what will cause us to drop another 10 degrees overnight.

If we do get a bit of the fluffy white, I'll try to photo to prove I'm earnest in my commisseration.

I use our sled to haul bins of wood up onto the porch. It works great!

D(ear)H is from Bethel Park, a suburb of PGH. I knew I was never, ever going to drive in the city when we went to visit his mom and bro. She had a big road map book called, "Pittsburgh Figured Out."

We used to go out the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and it was about an 8-9 hour drive. We'd get in really late. Then we'd leave just after breakfast on Sunday morning. One time, we missed an exit. We took another one, made an illegal U-turn, and were back on the way in 10 minutes. DH told me, "If it had been rush hour, that would have taken an hour, maybe more." No thanks!

@3KillerBs, are you a Steeler fan?

I'm from the other side of the city -- the mill towns downriver. Dad was in the Sewickley rural routes and Mom was in Leetsdale.

I am a bigger Nascar fan than football fan, but when I watch football (rarely, we don't have TV), I root for the Steelers. :D

Been either raining or drizzling most of the last two-three days, I expect the cloud cover moving off is what will cause us to drop another 10 degrees overnight.

The fluffy stuff is better than ice. That's what we had last weekend.

I have a sheet of ice over my yard and road. Thankfully was scheduled off this weekend anyway and was given yesterday off as a precaution. Work wasn't doable anyway due to living alone and having animals to care for. I think this is the first time theres been an ice storm in my neck of the woods since I even got chickens. The last one I remember that shut down anything was around this time in 2014, I got my first birds that April. Needless to say, NONE of them are very happy with it. One coop has a covered portion and they practically flew from the coop to it. One did kinda tentatively try to walk but ended up hopping a little. Really wish I thought to record it. The other coop doesn't have a covered portion yet so I laid out some cardboard so they at least have the option.
I'm from St Louis but have lived here for 20 years, we are NOT equipped to handle winter weather. Local schools have shut down a day early when FLURRIES were predicted later that week. IE Flurries predicted for Thursday so Tuesday becomes a half day and no school Wednesday with no school likely for Friday. It's insane. Growing up a snow day was a miracle though sometimes my dad would tell us to stay home even if the school was on as normal. The sun is finally starting to shine a bit so should be decent enough out here until later and it all refreezes.

Like your area, Coconut, we aren't equipped for it either. If there is even a strong hint of snow touching the ground, they will shut down sections of I-10 and I-95. Once they shut down I-95 as far south as Volusia County's northern line, almost 90 miles into the state! Volusia County is home of Daytona Beach, FL the "World's Most Famous Beach", for reference.

Thankfully, other than a vet appointment mid day tomorrow, I have no need to be on the road for the next week.

Like your area, Coconut, we aren't equipped for it either. If there is even a strong hint of snow touching the ground, they will shut down sections of I-10 and I-95. Once they shut down I-95 as far south as Volusia County's northern line, almost 90 miles into the state! Volusia County is home of Daytona Beach, FL the "World's Most Famous Beach", for reference.

Thankfully, other than a vet appointment mid day tomorrow, I have no need to be on the road for the next week.
What makes it worse is it's a military area so we have people from all over trying to drive around. Either under or overestimating their skills and/or the road. I want to pick up a few things but it's nothing that can't wait until tomorrow.

We got about 5" last night.
IMG_20220122_111023130.jpg

Did I shovel my driveway or sidewalk? No, I did not. Did I shovel out my run? Of course 🤣
The only one brave enough to leave the coop is also my only Mediterranean breed🙄
IMG_20220122_111949008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom