Snow in the South -- Check In Here

Pics
It is suppose to be negative 30 and i dont have supplemental hesting for my 3 chickens will they be okay.
Wind Chill? or Actual? There's a big difference, because your chickens SHOULD NOT be drafty on their roosts. According to NOAA -23 is the coldest (actual) forecast tonight. In Rhinelander. Wind Chills will be -30 or lower in a big swath of the state.

And assuming they are fully feathered, adult sized birds not of one of the cold-brittle breeds (Serama's get mentioned a lot in this category) in a dry, draft free, well ventilated coop, they should be fine. According to posters raising their birds w/o heat in Canada, Alaska, North Dakota, etc.

I don't know from personal experience. I would never willingly live in a place that went below 0 routinely or protractedly. I hate getting dressed.

I don't know from personal experience. I would never willingly live in a place that went below 0 routinely or protractedly. I hate getting dressed.
You and me both. I used to be better adapted to cold weather (not Wisconsin level) but not so much after living in NC for so long. Growing up I'd walk to school in tshirts during the winter, now 45 degrees has me huddled in some blankets with a hoodie and socks on. During warmer months I fantasize about someday moving to somewhere in New England or even Minnesota or Montana. Maybe I've seen too many postcards and national park calendars.

It looks so innocent, but there's a quarter-inch of ice under it.

0129220850.jpg

Back
Top Bottom