Snow

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by momofdrew, Dec 17, 2008.

1. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Today was the first day my birds have seen snow to cover the ground completely... I opened the pen door and they all gawked out...my brave Bill came out very gingerly and walked about 4 feet Hermione walked out to the milk crate about a foot from the door hopped upon that and then started bawking in a panic and jumped back into the pen with out touching that white stuff...the other 2 girls would NOT move but looked at Bill as if he were crazy...Bill stayed out for a few more minutes crowed once and ran back inside...It was really funny to watch them...

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I tossed some straw out on the ground by the ramp and in a circle about 5 foot round and the chickens will go out on that and then eat the snow at the edges!

3. Been snowing here and when we open the coop in the morning, they just look out and if its snow on the ground or cold they stay on the roost. marrie

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hey! It was our chickens first snow today too! they have a roof over half of their run so they can still be outside and not wet, and they all stayed under it all day. Here is our yard...

And remember I am in Southern California.....

[​IMG]

5. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Whaaaaaat!?!?!? It looks just like here in WI! When's the last time your area has seen snow like that?

6. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    my chickens where like this> [​IMG] when they saw the snow. That was last Wednesday.

7. debilorrah

Quote:It's been about 100 years. Seriously. 2 feet of snow. Ridiculous.

8. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I need to show this to my Mother. She wants to visit a friend in Apple Valley. I think she'll change her mind when she sees snow!

9. debilorrah

See other post of pics this morning - gorgeous!

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We have had our birds locked in the coop for over a week because we have had snow last weekend and low single digit highs all week. It started snowing last night and is still going. Right now we have over 4 feet in most spots. We had 4 large pen roofs collapse so far. When I get the chance I will load some pics of it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by