Snow

jessiduck

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
New York
Heyall!

After surviving -and still recovering- from the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy, I have some questions about the snow caused by Winter Storm Athena!
I'm sure a lot of the bloggers on this site are still recovering from these two storms, or are seeing the side affects and have similar questions!
Anywho, my question is about my ducks and chickens feet!
There's about 3inches of snow on the ground and supposedly, 3more are coming! Will their feet freeze from waddling and scratching in it all day? Should I be concerned about frostbite ?
I was thinking of just throwing some hay in their pens for warmth and traction.

Any ideas?

I don't know about ducks, but I've had chickens through many a winter and their feet have never frozen. They tend to spend most of their time indoors and so to get them to come out, I sprinkle straw on top of the snow in a big patch where they can hang out. I think the straw helps to keep their feet from being so cold, but even when they do venture out onto the snow, it doesn't seem to bother them much.

Good luck with your winter storm! I wonder if it will make it up to Vermont? I have family out in Sag Harbor--it's awful that you guys got hit so hard by Sandy. =(

Six inches of snow this morning, also from TWC Athena.

I put down wood shavings (don't have hay or straw right now) in some of the areas the ducks use so they will have a place to be up off the snow.

My runners do get chilled (yeah, I know the book says otherwise), especially the ones that molt in the late fall and winter.

So putting something down over the snow is a good idea, IMO. I like to cover areas near their swim pan and food dishes.

We got a few inches of snow this morning, too. Now it's rain, rain, raining on top of it.
tongue.png
Great fun it was this morning, slogging through it to the ducks! *chuckle*

This will be our second Winter with ducks. I was worried about them last Winter, being our first, but they did great, staying outside more often than not. This year, we have more ducks and a bigger coop for them to shelter in, if they so desire. We deep-litter in the coop, so there's plenty of warmth to snuggle down into if they want it.

I do remember last year, if I felt the ground had turned into really sharp and painful-looking ice, I took a hard rake to it and busted it up, then smoothed it out. I don't know if it made a difference for THEM, but it made ME feel better. *laugh* They didn't seem bothered either way.

Glad to hear you survived recent weather -- here's to our getting through the rest of the season.
highfive.gif

Thank you all for the good advice! The animals seem to be doing fine in the snow!

As for the people here, on Long Island and New Jersey, we're still devastated over the amount of damage that has happened
from Sandy. Many are still without power and home are completely destroyed-- especially in areas like Breezy Point, NY.
The Red Cross has done an amazing job bringing food to those who need, blankets, and other necessities!

Where I live was hit the worst for power outages and downed trees. The wind sounded like a train was blowing through our neighborhood!
We were without power almost eight days, but we're thanking God to still have a roof over our heads!

Thank you for your concern and prayers! Keep praying for those who are being affected from the damage-- we all really need it<3.

Here are some pics of the ducks and chickens for y'all :) <3.

Apparently using 1/2" hardware cloth provides a nearly snow-proof roof - who knew? lol

My dad says I didn't calculate my snow load well. :p I say almost 2 feet of snow would take down almost anything; and there are several collapsed homes and businesses in my area to prove it.

This was taken last Wednesday; I had only finished building this new pen 8 days prior. Obviously I pried the doors open and hauled the ducks inside with me for the week in case it should decide to collapse, but it held up fine, and the boards are hardly even bowed anymore.

Oh, wow! That's a beautiful pen, cymbaline!
My chickens and duck's coops are held up on posts and screwed in securely to them.
So, they had some shelter and dirt to scratch/dig in :)!
Glad your ducks were safe during the 2ft of snow, though!!! Yikes!

Thanks :) it's a lot better looking without all the snow though, lol.
That's how I did mine too, since they don't have a solid roof - their coop is about 3 ft off the ground, so they have shelter if they need/want it.

Apparently using 1/2" hardware cloth provides a nearly snow-proof roof - who knew? lol

My dad says I didn't calculate my snow load well. :p I say almost 2 feet of snow would take down almost anything; and there are several collapsed homes and businesses in my area to prove it.

This was taken last Wednesday; I had only finished building this new pen 8 days prior. Obviously I pried the doors open and hauled the ducks inside with me for the week in case it should decide to collapse, but it held up fine, and the boards are hardly even bowed anymore.

Thank you for sharing your photos. This is my first winter with chickens and we have gotten about a foot and a half of snow the last two days. Our run is covered and they seem happy & healthy, but still. 20 degrees F must be a bit of a shock for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom