Need a little feedback on Frostbite plan

pinkpickychicky

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2024
I have 9 month old Barred Rock Roo that has moderate frostbite on his waddle.

Back story:
Were we live there is not a vet in close proximity so I am used to managing on my own. Our hen house and run are dry and without draft but it doesn't have heat so it still pretty cold. I don't know what the run has been but the hen house is about 20 F. But outside it has been in the negative digits. I first noticed his waddle yesterday but over night he because dark gray. Today we are climbing up into the teens and by tomorrow we will be back above freezing. The reason he has frostbite is from drink water out of the heated watering dish. His waddle gets dipped every time he drinks. Usually I use another water when it's above freezing, which I will return to tomorrow but until then???

Questions/Opinion on my plan:
I don't really have a better place to take him for the 24 hours until it gets above freezing so I kind of want to leave him with his girls since it is warming up a good 25-30 degrees today and tomorrow and he will have the group warmth at night. The natural warming seems better than causing him stress to move him and slowly warming him up. Thoughts?

Second, if it doesn't get worse, I kind of just want to leave it be to heal naturally. Nothing is black or blistery, he hates being touched, and he is acting pretty normal otherwise. His feet are fine as is his comb. He is happiest with his ladies and gets very stressed when he is separated from them.

If we had normal temps our current set up would have been perfect for him but with crazy low temps for over a week we will make adjustment for future extremes.

Anything thoughts or feedback to my ideas would be appreciated.

Yep, just leave it alone and it will heal up on it's own.
Not sure what to tell you about the waterer, I have always used horizontal nipples to avoid wattle dipping.
Tho even with all the precautions I've taken they will go out and nosh on the snow banks which leads to mild to serious FB on most my birds over the years.

Here's my examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

This is example is very helpful. Thank you
Your article didn't come up in my search so I will be mindful to look deeper next time. I will keep an eye out for infection too, that wasn't on my radar.

Back
Top Bottom