snowboarders -I NEED YOUR HELP pleazzzzz!!!

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Hi all,

My youngest DD will be 12 this month-she has been asking for snowborading equipment forever to finally be able to get a mountain pass for the season-Im going to try like heck to get it for her

I know NOTHING about equipment:-(

She is 5 ft 1-2 inches 105 lbs and wheres a size 7 1/2 to size 8 shoe

She needs everything any help would be appreciated-where to look what to look for -great deals???

The pass is going to cost me 200$ for the season-so the rest I will have to be tight on-

You should take her with you, I know thats hard if its going to be a christmas gift but thats the best way to get her the right stuff.They range in price from about 600 bucks and up for the whole package. I would rent her the stuff the first year just to make sure she will stick with it. I did that with my two oldest and nly one of them really wanted to do it the next season.By then i new more about it and was able to buy the right stuff for him for christmas as a suprise..
Good luck

Wendy'sChicksRock :

You should take her with you, I know thats hard if its going to be a christmas gift but thats the best way to get her the right stuff.They range in price from about 600 bucks and up for the whole package. I would rent her the stuff the first year just to make sure she will stick with it. I did that with my two oldest and nly one of them really wanted to do it the next season.By then i new more about it and was able to buy the right stuff for him for christmas as a suprise..
Good luck

600$ + ?
th.gif
plus the 200$ pass? Oh lord I need to sell alot of eggs :-( I thought the whole kit and kaboodle would be around 350-400$ shoot-I asked my ex-BIL ( we work together) for help too since he does it and his boys and he ALWAYS has the best burton this burton that -so I hope he can help with some equiptment:)

if you take her and get her sized you could craigs list some stuff. I sold my used Burton Punch with the boots and bindings last year ( was 5 yrs old ) for 250.00 had some scratches and wear but was a great starter board. year passes here are 500.00!!! NEEDLESS to say we DONT get them... we have a ski/snowboard club thru the school and the kids can go for 1/2 price 2 times a week... Buy used for her first year.

Fixed my typos..oops

Last edited:
Wendy'sChicksRock :

if you take her and get her sized you could craigs list some stuff. I sold my used Burton Punch with the boots and bindings last year ( was 5 yrs old ) for 250.00 had some scratches and wear but was a great starter board. year passes here are 500.00!!! NEEDLESS to say we DONT get them... we have a ski/snowboard club thru the school and the kids can go for 1/2 price 2 times a week... Buy used for her first year.

Fixed my typos..oops

k Im going that route it looks like-besides we have bunny hills at our house she can practice on too:)

Wendy'sChicksRock :

Good luck

X2. Most good ski/snowboard shops do a 'rent for the year' program because they know kids grow out of things fast. I agree she should prove she is going to stick with it. Make sure she takes lessons as well. Even just a few will get her going and she will have a great time.

You are lucky. My DS begged me at age 8. He had been skiing since he was 4. He was the only kid on the elementary ski bus with a board. For that year anyway. ; )
Now he and his dad heli-board every year.​

I've snowboarded for over 20 years. When we started it was very rare to see snowboards on the slope, and people would take pictures of us as we were comming down the mountain. Here's my advice from personal experience. I'm a smaller woman ( size and weight)

The snowboard should be no shorter than her shoulders and no higher then her head. ( somewhere in the middle is usually perfect.) Personally, I would take her to get properly fitted. I would also suggest getting a board on the lighter side since some boards are heavier. This can sometimes be a problem when beginning to learn, and with the lifts. Some folks like the step in bindings, but I don't. I prefer the straps. That's just a matter of preference.

Invest in GOOD gear. It's worth it in the long run. I'm going to say this from personal experience. Don't do what I did.....Don't let your friends/family teach you how to snowboard. You will absolutely HATE them by the time you reach the bottom of the slope. Take a lesson, even if it's an hour. Take a lesson. That being said...Here is my other piece of advice....No matter how sore she is the next day. Get up, and get back out on that slope. The pain will go away. Trust me. When you go out for the first time for the season you will be sore, but you muscles won't take long the next day to bounce back. The pain will be gone, and you will have a MUCH better time the second day.
smile.png

Any other questions feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help.

Bluemoon

Quote:
wow thank you everyone!!! I guess Ill have to take her to get fitted and she'll have to know her gift early if I can afford to get it all:)

Quote:
wow thank you everyone!!! I guess Ill have to take her to get fitted and she'll have to know her gift early if I can afford to get it all:)

I think someone else mentioned you can do rentals before you invest in any gear. That's usually a good way to go with kids. Also, she will get properly fitted with the rental gear, so you will know what to look for. Some places do an hour lesson, and include a lift pass after the lesson is done. When snowboarding started to catch on we did that just to get the lift pass. ( We were poor college students) You could also try a snowboarding/ski shop. Some places have used gear to sell. We used to do that also. We would upgrade our gear at a shop, and get store credit. The shop would offer our old gear at a reduced price.
smile.png

Bluemoon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom