Snowflake Bobwhite Quail Anyone?

SnowShoez

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Snowy Utah
We are setting up to hatch our first quail and I believe the eggs I'm having shipped are supposed to be a rare type of quail called a Snowflake. How big do you think they will get if I decide to keep some for my stock? And shouldn't I get a breeding pair from another supplier? Are quail sensitive to inbreeding if the eggs are from 2 hens 1 roo? Thanks anything ya got will be greatly appreciated.

the ones I have seen here are treated just like bobs a local breeder has them in cages that are 72" wide 2 .5' deep and 20" tall he has 3 roos to 9-10 hens he has lots of branches they can roost on and has coffee cans as nests with what is sold as "rabbit hay" here

I don't know?

Wwwhat? That's all ya got?
smile.png

Thanks Aprophet. Seriously that helps me so much as my son and I are planning on housing them in a beautiful Parrot flight cage with the bottom grill left out so they can eat the plants and dig around in the dirt. Also pruned 'Nanna's pear tree and have awesome perch tree about 5 foot high. From your post we can feel good about the space they will have as its a bit larger than your friends. You wouldn't believe this double cage I found in the classifieds and am modifying it for my backyard park.

The cage has two breeding slots that I can add nests on the outside but I'm not sure if they are going to want to climb up high to lay eggs in them. It would work out perfect if they would as it gives them more digging room and easy for me to keep eggs clean. What do you thiink, any possibility they might climb and lay eggs higher off the ground?

Thanks again :)

unless the space they are in is a good sized avarie they normally do not go broody I have seen a lot of "rabbit cages" do duty as quail pens if you put the braches in this helps a lot but I like a much lower pen then most use keeps the little guys from Boinking their heads :)

We are setting up to hatch our first quail and I believe the eggs I'm having shipped are supposed to be a rare type of quail called a Snowflake. How big do you think they will get if I decide to keep some for my stock? And shouldn't I get a breeding pair from another supplier? Are quail sensitive to inbreeding if the eggs are from 2 hens 1 roo? Thanks anything ya got will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have Snowflake hatching eggs available?

Not so rare...except this time of year for eggs. Aprophet is correct, hey are just a bob with a different color mutation. housing is just the same with bob's. Off season, covey or group housing. Breeding season, put in pairs or trios with room or your white birds will turn red.

Bob's are seasonal layers so IF someone said they had eggs this time of year, they prob wouldn't be fertile. hopefully Twocrowsranch comes along soon, she has raised bobs for years.

Back
Top Bottom