Snowy Call Duck Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KDailey, Nov 19, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I was at a chicken sale last night and there was a pen labeled Snowy Call Duck pair. Naturally I was interested, even with no experiance and limited knowledge. I won the auction at $36 for the pair! For the prices I've seen on call ducks I consider this a steal even if they aren't totally awesome quality. They do look like call ducks, small with the round head and small beak and that's all I'm asking.

Here's my question: can the female snowy call duck be solid white?

There's no doubt in my mind that the drake is a snowy but im not sure bout the female. Most pictures I see the female is either mostly white with some brownish or brownish with some "frost" look to some feathers.

If the female isnt supposed to be solid white, can I still get some good babies from the pair?

2. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    If you post pics that might help?

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, a Snowy hen isn't White-that's a White hen.
    Can you post some pictures of them?
    This is a picture of a pair of my Snowys right after they arrived. My hen's body has too much fawn in it(should be more white), but just so you can see an example. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    That's what I figured but I still love them. Any guesses at what the babies might look like? I can attempt pictures when I get home but I'm not sure I can do it on my iPhone.

5. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    sounds like you got just a white duck there. I don't know what the offspring of a snowy drake and white hen would be. Hope someone can answer this as I am interested in learning.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Not trying to be mean, but Who cares?!?! You have call ducks! That's whats important! [​IMG]

We want pictures! [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I wish I could help you there-I am still wading through most of the color genetics of Calls myself and mostly just feel like banging my head against the wall! [​IMG]
    You live right up the road a ways from me-howdy neighbor!

8. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Hahaha yes I am thrilled to just have the little guys as I thought I could never afford any. I was just at the right place at the right time. I'm just curious what they might produce.

I'm about 45 minutes east of lufkin. Where are you?

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Hardin County just south of you. I am about 20 miles north of Beaumont. [​IMG]

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They will suck you in with their cuteness. [​IMG] I love the females! They are so cute when they get chattering away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by