Snuffles (Pasteurellosis)

Heartlandrabbitry

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Washington
I'm looking to see if anyone has dealt with this disease before? None of my rabbits have (thank goodness) but I was wondering is it contagious when no rabbit show signs? Could they get it from being in the same room? I took my rabbits to a show this past weekend and found out from a friend of mine that she took a rabbit that just showed signs of Snuffles the following days... now I'm not 100% sure if my rabbits were in the same judging holes as her but is it possible that they could catch it now? I read that it can be passed threw clothing and on your hands... she was holding some of my rabbits and typing them. What kind of makes me mad is she knew that the rabbit was sick... but never showed any signs so she thought it was ok to bring the rabbit?
th.gif

I'm just worried now that my rabbits could have it now. Does anyone know how long it takes to how signs? I check my rabbits each day to make sure they have no discharge and/or runny noses. Thank you for any possible help!

I worked with rabbits in a research setting, and pasteurellosis was an occasional problem with newly acquired animals during the quarantine period. In my experience it was highly contagious. Did you quarantine the animals that you brought back from the show? If so, keep an eye on them and medicate as soon symptoms appear. Pasteurellosis in my experience could take the form of an acute, fulminating fatal disease with other animals developing more of a chronic carrier state. Good luck. This is one of the problems we face whenever showing animals. This really points out the need for quarantine of any animals that are taken to shows.

Quote:
Well the thing is I never knew her rabbit was sick until about four days after the show!
barnie.gif
So now pretty much all my rabbits are exposed to it, IF they brought Snuffles home
he.gif
Ughh! Thank you for your response, and I will keep a close eye on them!

Heartland, it has been said that ALL rabbits carry some degree of pasteurella. I don't know if it's true, but I have found that when my rabbits are stressed from a show or major environmental changes, sneezes can happen. I treat with a poultry antibiotic that I get at the feed store after returning from shows. I have yet had the occasional sneeze turn into anything more dramatic, and even though it always concerns me and I keep a close eye on the sneezer, when things settle down again all is inevitably well.

You could post an anonymous tip on Craigslist to warn potential buyers to be sure to quarantine the rabbit if they choose to purchase it! It's so tacky to sell a [possibly sick] rabbit that was given to them!

Quote:
You don't neccessarily know if rabbits(or any animals) are sick or what they are carrying(many appear healthy but aren't). So you quarantine when you get back from shows to ensure your rabbits haven't picked anything up. You don't implement quarantining just because you "knew" a rabbit was sick.

I hope your rabbits are okay! Snuffles scares the tar out of me! I had a scare with it. Fortunately we did quarantine and just had to cull the two affected rabbits.

Good luck! I'll be sending snuffle free thoughts your way!

Quote:
Well what's strange is the same thing happened to her and her friend. She bought a few ND's from California and brought them back and killed some of their herd. Now she is turning around and doing the same thing? It's sad that people can't be truthful and cull sick rabbits. I've never had a problem with any of my rabbits being sick and I really don't want to go to that point!
sad.png

Do you know the antibiotics name? Can you give me some other information on it?

Thanks

Quote:
You don't neccessarily know if rabbits(or any animals) are sick or what they are carrying(many appear healthy but aren't). So you quarantine when you get back from shows to ensure your rabbits haven't picked anything up. You don't implement quarantining just because you "knew" a rabbit was sick.

I hope your rabbits are okay! Snuffles scares the tar out of me! I had a scare with it. Fortunately we did quarantine and just had to cull the two affected rabbits.

Good luck! I'll be sending snuffle free thoughts your way!

That's what I should do from now on. They won't be going to any shows for a while, and when they do, straight to quarantine. I don't want to risk loosing my herd, which I've worked on for a while, just because some people are irresponsible (I know some people just don't know their rabbits are sick)

Thank you, I really hope this will pass peacefully...
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom