Snuggles my lonely three year old who suffered a broken neck as a week old signet .

You may want to look on Craigslist or Ebay for fertile hatching eggs. I'm not sure how readily you can find swan eggs though🤔
I'm no expert, but would a fertile goose egg work? Depending on the species, they're about the same size, no?

HI! I have a home (indoor) raised black Australian swan who is so lonely. She's had two unfertilized clutches and it breaks her heart every time she realizes they are not alive.
I am seeking an egg for hatching in an incubator because, my Lord God, she so deserves it.

Can anyone help?
Is she all alone? So you're planning to hatch with an incubator? This would probably be safer since your swan hasnt hatched eggs before. Letting her brood might be a nice thing to do but even if she sits on the eggs, so much can go wrong with hatching and it isn't guaranteed. Doing it with an incubator might be a safer route, but keep in mind you'll have to raise the baby, and your swan wont have her friend until they're grown up. The baby will also imprint on you. It's never a good idea to raise a lone baby, 2 or 3 is better.

I'm not an expert on swans, I keep ducks- but here are some options:
-Check online for swans for sale locally, consider buying or adopting a companion for her. This would give her a companion much faster, and might be less stressful for you.

-Look online, ebay etc, for fertilised swans eggs (be aware that this may be expensive, and when eggs are shipped, they may end up damaged). You could always buy more than you need, a half dozen or so, quality check and use the better eggs. But if you end up with lots of males, I expect you'll need to rehome or separate to keep in ratio.

-Ask around locally and see if anyone keeps swans, see if they'd consider selling you some fertilised eggs.

Is she all alone? So you're planning to hatch with an incubator? This would probably be safer since your swan hasnt hatched eggs before. Letting her brood might be a nice thing to do but even if she sits on the eggs, so much can go wrong with hatching and it isn't guaranteed. Doing it with an incubator might be a safer route, but keep in mind you'll have to raise the baby, and your swan wont have her friend until they're grown up. The baby will also imprint on you. It's never a good idea to raise a lone baby, 2 or 3 is better.

I'm not an expert on swans, I keep ducks- but here are some options:
-Check online for swans for sale locally, consider buying or adopting a companion for her. This would give her a companion much faster, and might be less stressful for you.

-Look online, ebay etc, for fertilised swans eggs (be aware that this may be expensive, and when eggs are shipped, they may end up damaged). You could always buy more than you need, a half dozen or so, quality check and use the better eggs. But if you end up with lots of males, I expect you'll need to rehome or separate to keep in ratio.

-Ask around locally and see if anyone keeps swans, see if they'd consider selling you some fertilised eggs.
Could she let Snuggles brood a dummy egg and swap it out for a newly hatched chick? Or just let Snuggles brood and hatch a fertilized egg?

Could she let Snuggles brood a dummy egg and swap it out for a newly hatched chick? Or just let Snuggles brood and hatch a fertilized egg?
Putting the baby under her is a possibility, but I'm doubtful she would commit to brooding a dummy egg. Even if she did there's still a risk the baby will be rejected.
She may brood and be able to hatch an egg herself, but spending the money spent on the eggs and the risk of Snuggles giving up midway through or during hatch...
It could be safer to do it all manually as long as a careful incubation is carried out. So personally I would do it with an incubator, but others have their preferences which is fine

Putting the baby under her is a possibility, but I'm doubtful she would commit to brooding a dummy egg. Even if she did there's still a risk the baby will be rejected.
She may brood and be able to hatch an egg herself, but spending the money spent on the eggs and the risk of Snuggles giving up midway through or during hatch...
It could be safer to do it all manually as long as a careful incubation is carried out. So personally I would do it with an incubator, but others have their preferences which is fine
I’m a little confused about this thread. Realistically there are risks with everything. Does the OP want a grown companion for Snuggles or for Snuggles to experience motherhood?

I’m a little confused about this thread. Realistically there are risks with everything. Does the OP want a grown companion for Snuggles or for Snuggles to experience motherhood?
There are risks with everything, but when it comes to hard to find eggs, or potentially expensive eggs, I'd really weigh up the pros and cons of any choice.

Anyway, OP mentioned they were planning on incubating, so that's what I mainly addressed that. Putting the baby under Snuggles is a possibility, but it's whether or not she will remain broody that is the issue there.

Back
Top Bottom