Need to put to sleep poor hen who neck was broken by racoon.

BobGreene

Hatching
Aug 2, 2023
I have raised chickens all my life and never had this emergency. A large racoon broke into the chicken pen and killed some of my best layers. One of the older hens had her neck broken and yet she keeps on living but can't get up or move mostly. She is breathing very slowly and it breaks my heart to see her like this. I was wondering how I could simply put her to sleep so she doesn't suffer anymore. I have her separated in a small cage at the moment and tried to give her food and water but she won't take it. She will simply starve to death if I do nothing, but I can't stand to see her suffer like that. What should I do? Thanx for your time and effort in this matter.

Boy, tough situation.
I use Cervical Dislocation for euthanasia, but if her neck is already broken a shot to the head might be easier.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.
-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.
-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I have raised chickens all my life and never had this emergency. A large racoon broke into the chicken pen and killed some of my best layers. One of the older hens had her neck broken and yet she keeps on living but can't get up or move mostly. She is breathing very slowly and it breaks my heart to see her like this. I was wondering how I could simply put her to sleep so she doesn't suffer anymore. I have her separated in a small cage at the moment and tried to give her food and water but she won't take it. She will simply starve to death if I do nothing, but I can't stand to see her suffer like that. What should I do? Thanx for your time and effort in this matter.
Oh Bob I'm so sorry. I used the broom stick method to kill a culled hen and it worked great. Just place a stick over there neck stand on it and pull . This is the horrible side of animal husbandry for sure.

I'd say welcome, but it's not a good situation for you to be joining. Still, thank you for coming to us.

I agree with the broomstick method in most cases. Does she still seem to have feeling in her body? If not, then probably just using an axe would be fine, if she does still have feeling, then go for a full dislocation via broomstick.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. :hugs

Oh Bob I'm so sorry. I used the broom stick method to kill a culled hen and it worked great. Just place a stick over there neck stand on it and pull . This is the horrible side of animal husbandry for
I'd say welcome, but it's not a good situation for you to be joining. Still, thank you for coming to us.

I agree with the broomstick method in most cases. Does she still seem to have feeling in her body? If not, then probably just using an axe would be fine, if she does still have feeling, then go for a full dislocation via broomstick.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. :hugs
Boy, tough situation.
I use Cervical Dislocation for euthanasia, but if her neck is already broken a shot to the head might be easier.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.
-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

Boy, tough situation.

Thanx for the info. I thought of going on and chopping her, but then I thought of possibly using a plastic bag, since you hallucinate from carbon dioxide poisoning, but you fade out as a result and I thought that might be more humane or give a high dose shot of benedryl as we have had to do to cats/dogs, etc., but I suppose getting it over with fast is best. She was such a good and friendly hen out of the whole bunch. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do, huh? Thanx again.

Oh Bob I'm so sorry. I used the broom stick method to kill a culled hen and it worked great. Just place a stick over there neck stand on it and pull . This is the horrible side of animal husbandry for sure.
Thanx for the info. I thought of going on and chopping her, but then I thought of possibly using a plastic bag, since you hallucinate from carbon dioxide poisoning, but you fade out as a result and I thought that might be more humane or give a high dose shot of benedryl as we have had to do to cats/dogs, etc., but I suppose getting it over with fast is best. She was such a good and friendly hen out of the whole bunch. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do, huh? Thanx again.

Back
Top Bottom