So am I going to get any eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My chickens are 6 weeks old Wednesday. They will be 18-20 weeks old in late Dec./Jan. Does this mean I will have to wait until Spring? I don't know enough about the laying part yet and heard that they don't lay in the winter.

Thanks,
    Ellie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They might get delayed a few weeks but I bet you'll get eggs. I have a late summer hatch this year too and last time they started laying at about 22 weeks old. (Leghorns)

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree, you might get a few eggs...but the spring time will offer better egg laying. Just keep watch...maybe a Christmas egg!!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I got 5 month old light brahmas right before winter last year and was told the same thing that they might not lay til Spring..but those girls belted out eggs all winter long!!...lol...I think it just depends on the breed....

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's good to know, Tuff. My Lt Brahma and Buff Brahma girls have started out being fantastic layers and I hope their rep for laying well through winter holds out for me.

6. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Great to know. I have buff orps, barred rocks, rir's and a cochin and a wyandot.

They are such sweet babies. I am glad that they may lay...

Ellie

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, if you make the nesting area nice and snuggly warm you might get some. Use insulation or old hessian bags nailed to the walls, that really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by