So, any evening meeting a teacher and $1200.00 price tag!

I played Alto Sax in my HS Marching and Concert band. I still have it and play it on occasion. We bought it used and its a Bundy II. I paid $100 of it and my dad payed $150. We bought it used. Nothing wrong with buying a used one. Beats paying $1150 for a new one...Which seems really high to me anyway. You can buy a new one around here for $699.

mom'sfolly :

I would be very careful buying a woodwind at at pawn shop, particularly a flute. Replacing the pads and making an old instrument playable can be very expensive. I lucked out this year. My rental contract is with the school, for school instument. Our middle school rents trombones, euphonium, tubas, basoons, and French horns. My dear boy is playing French horn, so for $50/year he gets an instrument for home and one for school. Yipee!!!!

I feel your pain though. If his enthusiasm and practice continues, a very expensive instrument is in our future.

when i was in school i wanted to play clarinet and we got mine from a pawn shop for $50, this was long ago, i m 30 now, But it was fine! After 2 yrs we needed to replace the pads, cost??? $25 the band teacher had a friend do it for the cost of the pads. cost of the school's "purchase agreement" one??? $600. i say we got a good deal, i played for 3yrs. my stepdad used it after that and kept it even when my mom divorced him. now dd wanted to play clarinet last year, Her dad went and rented one, the total cost wouldve been $900. she quit in 3 monthes.​

My dad had an awesome clarinet that he played through college. So, naturally I took clarinet. At least until my band teacher dropped it and broke it. Twice.
roll.png
Apparantly he didn't know the correct way to hold a clarinet. So I took choir. It ended up being a lot cheaper.
wink.png

Holy mackerel! That's a lot of money to fork out when she hasn't taken the instrument before. I'm glad it's a good instrument.

I'm in shock because I'm a music teacher in a well-known East Bay, CA city. We provide all the instruments for every student in the entire school district for $10 for the whole year. (No extra cost if it's an oboe or the like.) We also have them repaired at no cost to the parent, as long as the student wasn't negligent. The only down side to this arrangement is that the students don't always understand how special it is to have an instrument.

Hope she loves it! Saxophone is WAY fun!

Ok I know she really really really wants the new sax. But please think about this before buying a Brand NEW instrument. I started in band when I was in 6th grade and started with a beginers trumpet. I went through 5 trumpets between 6th grade and 12th grade when I bought my Bach Strad. My instruments were droped, stepped on, bashed into things, rain soaked, droped in mud, sports equipment hitting it, coliding with other students..... I could go on for a LOOONNNGGG time with what a students instrument goes through. My trumpets went through all of this while I was trying to take care of it. Even my 1300 (cost more than my car) strad got damaged my senior year and I babied that more than any of the others. I never took it out during school. I only used it at home and during performances and used my junk one everyday.

My suggestion is to go and buy a good used student alto sax and later when she has worked up to it a good pro sax. That way you have the student instrument get beat up and if she decides to switch instruments you have not invested that much.

Sorry about the long post. (I play trumpet, piano, drums and a little clarinet and flute) I got sick of trumpet once or twice!!!

um.. the hand sanitizer issue with me? i am sorry but i feel if we didn't need to have community *everything* we wouldnt need hand sanitizer or clorox wipes. My children have to put almost everything into a community box. meaning everythign gets used by everyone. i dont 'like that either, because if some parents buy a nice pair of scissors and others buy the cheaper ones, then the children who get the cheaper ones will argue over getting *stuck* with them. all the gluesticks, scissors, crayons, markers, pencils all go into a box for everyone to pick out of. BUT, my children have to wash their hands right when they get into school and right before they leave. as an extra security against h1n1.

sorry for the hijack. i just can't see why my children can't use the stuff i bought for them. i can see buying something extra for children whose parents can't afford to buy some.

i better go before i get yelled at for my post.
Sue

ps sorry to see the sky high price for the instrument. i can't afford that, so my children aren't in band or anything
sad.png
i know im a bad parent when it comes to stuff like that.

When my DD joined the orchestra, they wanted $1200 to purchase
a violin, or $28 a month to rent it. I went on Ebay and purchased
a good brand new violin for $40.
The teacher was amazed at the quality and the sound. She asked
for the seller's name, and ordered a few extras for the class.
The next year I upgraded my DD's violin for a $50 off Ebay from the
same seller, and sold the old one for $30 to a new orchestra student
at the school. The student's parents were so pleased that they
wouldn't have to rent a violin for their kid.

Quote:
My kid's class did this, also. A cup of pencils circled the room every day. My son almost never got his favorite pencil, the black ones MADE IN the USA that I had bought for HIM. One day, the kid who had athlete's foot (a year long problem) used one of the black pencils to SCRATCH HIS ITCHY FOOT!!! The kids of course were disgusted. The next day, ALL the black pencils got thrown in the trash because the incident wasn't made known to the teacher till then, when kids refused to touch the previously favored pencils.

Ahhhhh, love homeschool!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom