So at 19 weeks should I be doing anything different?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherLynn, Aug 17, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I want eggs this time dang it. My last group NEVER laid an egg. They were a full year old and not one egg.

We have moved though and there are no dogs harassing these. These are new chicks that I started with this year. So we are roughly 19 weeks along. It has been hotter than hades though and no one is really laying at the moment. Thats ok. Cooler weather is coming though. They have been on layer crumble for the past 4 weeks. They get free choice oyster shell. We have finally beat the mites issue so that will not be a factor. Anything else I need to do to get ready for first eggs from my teens? I really want all these to be layers. I have 3 others a couple EE's and a rir who are a few weeks older. I almost think the RIR has given me an egg but cannot be sure. I had one much smaller egg sitting in the nest box with her. My others lay huge eggs. EE's will take longer to lay right? They all should be laying soon wouldn't you think?

Also I have a buff orp who's face has turned red. Is that a sign she is getting ready to be a big girl? So very excited.

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Yup red face and wattle and egg should be soon

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm waiting at 19 weeks as well. I don't believe there is anything you can do to hurry them along. I've read that starting them on layer feed early does nothing to speed up the date at which they will begin laying. I've also read not to feed oyster shell until they begin laying. I'm new to this, but that's what I've read. I think you just make sure they have a nice, safe, cozy place to lay, perhaps put a golf ball in there to give them the idea and wait....patiently or impatiently. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by